camping with beer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewTex

Reaction score
So my husband and I are planning a backpacking trip in a couple of months, and we were wondering if it would be even remotely possible to bottle some beer in a platypus? Hahaha... it sounds hilarious I know, but seriously bottles are HEAVY. Seems like we've read someone's post that they bottled in plastic bottles, but would a soft-sided platypus hold up to the pressure? What do you guys think?

Seeing as you probably won't want to be hitting the suds while you're hiking (hydration and all that), you are probably just as well served using PET bottles. To simply address your question, though, I think a platypus could work provided you don't over prime.

We're talking homebrew right? If you're a bottler as opposed to a kegger, I'd go with trinitone's suggestion. I've not used them, but you can bottle condition and everything in them.

I assume you mean pouring beer in it at the trailhead instead of conditioning in it, which would never work. I've put kegged beer in a growler and drank it about 4 hours later and it still had decent carbonation, but you could tell it was going away. Probably wouldn't want to go much longer than that.

Personally, I can't stand the taste of water out of my camelback that is lying unused in my closet, I can't imagine drinking beer out of it. I'm a lexan nalgene only type of guy. If you don't get the PET's, then I'd go with the dogs idea and use a couple of lexan nalgene bottles.

Can I just ask, is a "platypus" an actual term for a piece of camping equipment? 'Cause it's been a really, really weird day around here, and I'm easily confused to begin with...

the_bird said:
Can I just ask, is a "platypus" an actual term for a piece of camping equipment? 'Cause it's been a really, really weird day around here, and I'm easily confused to begin with...

In short, Yes. They also make something called a camelback, which was originally designed and used for hands free drinking while mtn biking. It's basically a plastic/rubberized bladder that holds liquids. READ: Modern day boda bag

glibbidy said:
In short, Yes. They also make something called a camelback, which was originally designed and used for hands free drinking while mtn biking. It's basically a plastic/rubberized bladder that holds liquids. READ: Modern day boda bag

Yeah, and I thought they'd be the best thing since sliced bread when they came out. But the water tastes nasty, the tube leaks, you have to sip instead of gulp(which I prefer) and your water gets hot really quick. In case you can't tell, I'm not a fan! :mad:

I just reread my earlier post and noticed it might not make sense. I mean you could never condition in a platypus.

According to Camelbak, their new 2006 bladders are so tough they come with a lifetime warranty. Sounds like it's time for a science experiment.

Soft-sided bags will not hold pressure. Use 1 or 2 liter plastic bottles. Smaller bottles are easier to pack.

Whoa! That beer belly is great. Unfortunately, I already have one of my own, so adding to it in such a fashion doesn't seem like such a great idea. :)

Latest posts

Back