malting grains in pails

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emyers

Reaction score
First time malting I'm trying using buckets and an air stone. So far its working well. Here is what I did.

Rinse grains twice with Luke warm water removing chaff and dirt. Soak overnight with air stone at the bottom of the grain. Drain water and transfer grain into pail with air stone at the bottom and lid placed on top but not locked. Every so often pull out the air stone, place at bottom of econdary pail and transfer grains. I soaked a second time for about four hours with the air stone at the bottom again. Drain and continue swapping from one bucket to the next every 1-12 hours.

I'm malting feed wheat and on day two. it looks like tomorrow I will begin drying. Temp is around 65-70f

IMG_20131223_143112_965.jpg

It worked great! I made a kiln out of a cardboard box with a small electric fan space heater and a window screen for the grain. The only improvent I could think of is use a large ring style bubble stone. That or use a false bottom of sorts to evenly vent air and stop the bottom layer of grains from getting soggy. I ended up with 11 lbs of finished wheat. I wouldn't try much more than that because they almost double in volume later in the sprouting stage. I didnt weigh the starting weight. The whole process took about 36 hours from dry grain to into the kiln at 70f. I bet having the bubbles for the soak helps speed up growth a ton.

Back