Such thing as too much yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Criniit

Reaction score
So if you added two pouches of dry yeast instead of one..bad? good? ok? Is there such a thing as to much yeast?

No it's not bad but why would you do that?

One pack of dried yeast is more than ample for a normal batch of beer.

Too much yeast? yes but that would be a lot......many many packs of yeast.

If you are talking dried yeast, there is no need to use two packets in 5 gallons. Yeast is alive, it grows and multiplies before the fermentation starts.

Too much yeast would be about 20 packets in 5 gallons.

To clarify, at least for myself. I would add 2 packs of the 6 gram yeast packs but not the 11.5 gram packs. I think Munton's and Coopers yeasts are 6 gram.

So how long do you guys wait before you pitch a second batch of yeast? It's been 24 hours on my lgaer (keeping it at 65 degrees till it starts fermination) and no activity. My hydrometer broke (stupid drunk roomates) is there anyway to visually tell if fermentation has started besides the airlock bubbling?

Criniit said:
So how long do you guys wait before you pitch a second batch of yeast? It's been 24 hours on my lgaer (keeping it at 65 degrees till it starts fermination) and no activity. My hydrometer broke (stupid drunk roomates) is there anyway to visually tell if fermentation has started besides the airlock bubbling?

Check for small white patches on the surface or fines bubbles rising through wort.

I take it you didn't make a starter ? I'd want to see activity with in 24hrs, preferably 12hrs and make a suitable sized starter to ensure this happens, especially in a lager as under pitching can result in the yeast producing too many esters.

You need to take your O.G. into account first and foremost.

I used two (2) eleven (11) gram packs last night for a 1.082 starting grav.

Latest posts

Back