First Original Recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iskeptici

Reaction score
I've been toying with this one for awhile in my iBrewmaster app and finally have all of the ingredients to make it... just wanted to get some feedback from the pros here before I brew it! I've read Daniels and Papazian and have been obsessed reading the forums here for months.. but I'm still a bit nervous about my first recipe...

"The One Ring" Organic IPA

Style: Imperial IPA Est OG: 1.091
Type: Extract Est FG: 1.021
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 9.17 %
Calories: 296 IBU's: 122.51
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 5.57 Gal
Color: 10.4 SRM Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
(none)

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
11.00 lbs 81.48 % NB Organic Light Malt Syrup 60 mins 1.036
2.00 lbs 14.81 % Organic Briess Caramel 20L 60 mins 1.034
0.50 lbs 3.70 % Organic Briess Carapils Organic 60 mins 1.034

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 39.21 Pacific Gem 60 mins 15.10
1.00 ozs 15.77 Hallertauer, New Zealand 30 mins 7.90
1.00 ozs 30.14 Pacific Gem 30 mins 15.10
0.50 ozs 5.51 Motueka 20 mins 7.00
0.50 ozs 6.21 Hallertauer, New Zealand 20 mins 7.90
1.00 ozs 14.22 Pacific Gem 10 mins 15.10
0.50 ozs 3.30 Motueka 10 mins 7.00
0.50 ozs 3.72 Hallertauer, New Zealand 10 mins 7.90
0.50 ozs 1.81 Motueka 5 mins 7.00
0.50 ozs 1.37 Hallertauer, New Zealand 3 mins 8.50
0.50 ozs 0.77 Motueka 2 mins 7.00
0.50 ozs 0.48 Hallertauer, New Zealand 1 mins 8.50
1.00 ozs Motueka 10 days 4.00
1.00 ozs Hallertauer, New Zealand 10 days 8.50
1.00 ozs Pacific Gem 10 days 15.00

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
2.00 pkg California Ale White Labs 0001

I'd say you will probably need either a starter or more yeast vials. Jamil's pitch rate calculator says you'll need 4 vials w/o a starter. Seems like an awful lot of hops. I doubt you'll taste any of your C20 under all of that.

I don't think tasting the Carmel malt is a big deal it's all about the hops and ABV. It's mostly there for color. It does seem like a lot but if your AAU's are correct you should be good. Tell me the reason for the 30 min additions though. Seems like a bad spot to put them.

Should I move the 30 min additions later? This is my 5th batch so I'm still a newbie, but I really want to get a lot of hop flavor... My first double IPA was good but not as hoppy as I wanted it to be. Appreciate the advice!

If you want more bitterness move the to 60 if you want more flavor then move them to around the 15 min mark. You want more aroma at them at the end of the boil. In the middle they get kind of muddled and don't do much of flavor or bittering.

Looks good!

Thanks for the advice... I see 30min additions in a lot of other recipes so I guess I assumed it brings out different flavor components, but I like the idea of separation of buttering and aroma/flavor...

If you want more bitterness move the to 60 if you want more flavor then move them to around the 15 min mark. You want more aroma at them at the end of the boil. In the middle they get kind of muddled and don't do much of flavor or bittering.

Looks good!

wow. can't quite follow that. anyway, if i want hop flavor (and who doesn't) i add at 15-20

I'm curious about your hop selection--why those? I'm not that familiar with Pacific Gem or Motueka so I can't comment on how they will play off each other, but Hallertauer has a tendency to get overpowered in an IPA.

I'm using these New Zealand varieties because they don't use sprays or pesticides and I wanted to make an organic IPA. Im also trying to branch out from the usual C hops and from what I've read of flavor and acid profiles I think these will be a good pairing. It's an experiment with the unknown but that's what makes it exciting!

It's bubbling away now, I tweaked the hop additions a bit so there aren't any middle additions, just bittering and hopbursting.... A bit unseasonably warm in NorCal this week but I'm hopeful this is going to be a good brew!

Well, it seems to have turned out well, but with the high ABV it seems to be more of a Barleywine than an IPA. 6 weeks in the bottle

... And still not more than a touch of carbonation. Great flavor though... There is a bit of oak from the Pacific gem that goes well with the caramel. Looks like I'll need to put this away for a few more months!

Back