Playing around with a Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daedalus

Reaction score
I need a little insight on a red ale I'm playing around with. I need comments on my grain bill.

6 lbs Pilz/Light LME
1 lb Pilz/Light DME
1 lb Crystal 20L
8 oz Melandolin
8 oz CaraRed

4 oz Roasted Barley

The part I need help with are the 3 I bolded. I basically need 2 lbs of 20L steeping grains to achieve the color I want (14 SRM). Not sure how to allocate the 2 lbs though.

Crystal adds caramel and sweet flavors. Melandolin adds maltiness. The CaraRed imparts head retention and body.

How should I allocate these 2 lbs? Should I move away from the CaraRed since it doesn't add much flavor? Should I lean more towards caramel or malty? Should I remove the CaraRed all together?

Here are some alternatives I've been thinking:

6 lbs Pilz/Light LME
1 lb Pilz/Light DME
12 oz Crystal 20L
12 oz Melandolin
8 oz CaraRed

4 oz Roasted Barley

6 lbs Pilz/Light LME
1 lb Pilz/Light DME
1 lb Crystal 20L
1 lb Melandolin

4 oz Roasted Barley

6 lbs Pilz/Light LME
1 lb Pilz/Light DME
8 oz Crystal 20L
1 lb Melandolin
8 oz CaraRed

4 oz Roasted Barley

I have a red ale recipe that I absolutely love. Looks and tastes great.

My malt bill:

3.3lbs Amber LME
3.3lbs Pilsen LME
6oz Caramel 80L
3oz Special B
2oz Roasted Barley

Hop it with Centennials to about 30-35 IBUs

This is what it looks like:

chairman_photo.jpg

Damn, that is a good looking Red Ale.

Does it have the forward sweetness and dry finish like Reds are supposed to have?

Now that's a pretty red ale. I'm going to have to give that one a shot. Used a Irish strain?

I was considering using the Wyeast British Ale II (1335) over the Irish because of it's higher attenuation (hopefully drier finish) and higher flocculation.

Damn, that is a good looking Red Ale.

Does it have the forward sweetness and dry finish like Reds are supposed to have?

Yes, there's definitely a good maltiness to it. However I wouldn't necessarily call it an Irish Red because it's hopped like an American pale ale. It's a unique brew.

That said, you could easily replace the Centennials I use in this recipe for EKGs to make it more like an Irish Red. If you do, keep the IBUs around 25.

I use US-05 with this brew, but a dry English strain would work well. Irish Ale yeast would be as well.

Back