Belgian Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejearn

Reaction score
I would like to brew an all-grain belgian tripel, something like an Allagash Tripel clone, and I have a question about which yeast to use. The Allagash Tripel has a very distinct banana note that is reminiscent of a bavarian hefeweiss strain, and that is what I would like to replicate. Do the belgian strong ale strain or trappist high gravity strain have that banana/clove character (I've never used either one, and see them in lots of Tripel recipes)? Does anybody know a good strain to achieve a nice Allagash Tripel clone? :confused:

Thanks everyone!! :)

I could be wrong. I think Allagash uses a proprietary yeast that is not available to home brewers. But you probably could culture up some from a bottle.

Or go with one of the several other Belgian strains that are easy to find. I have had experience with the following.

WLP 500 (chimay strain) Most fruity, could give you that banana your looking for.
WLP 530 (westmalle strain) less fruity, kinda clean
WLP 550 (Achoffe strain) Much more peppery, with some lighter fruit.

Fermentation temps make a huge difference. Lower temps produce more spicy phenolics. Higher temps make more fruity esters. This is the kinda beer you will probably brew over and over with slight adjustments to find the perfect formula. Enjoy the journey!

Back