Making a braggot - first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernardsmith

Reaction score
Making my first braggot and it will be 4 weeks in the fermenter this Sunday (no headroom). How long do you "ferment" a braggot? Do you treat it more like a beer and bottle after 3 or 4 weeks or like a mead and bottle after 6 or 9 months? Do you expect a braggot to be like a mead and so refuse to bottle while sediment can still drop out of suspension or do you treat it like a beer and expect there to be some trub and yeast in the bottle? Thoughts? Thanks.

I don't know if there is really a consensus here, but I will tell you what I do.

If I use ale yeast, I treat it like beer. I bottle within a month with carbonation. Clear or not. It all settles in the bottle. This is assuming a dry fermentation.

If I use wine yeast, I treat it like mead, BUT I am ultra paranoid about oxidation. Rack once and let it clear. Carbonation just depends on how it tastes. Some braggots need it and others don't need it. Your personal preference. Sweet braggots require no carb or force carb.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Loveofrose. Very helpful. Will need to check my notes to see what yeast I used. I think it was a wine yeast but not certain. I am in no rush to open any bottles but was just wondering about whether to bulk age like mead or bottle age like beer... And JKaranka - the starting gravity would have been about 1.100 or so. Again, would need to check my notes, but I cannot see that I would have used less than about 2lbs of grain and 2 pounds of honey

Sounds more like regular mead / wine! All braggots I've seen around here are weaker. The regional brewery makes one at 5% abv!

Back