Bragging Rights

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freeradical

Reaction score
My school, Appalachian State, has started it's own brewery for students to help brew and sell beer in the area. :mug:

It is called the Ivory Tower Brewing Company, all of the commercially produced beers have academic related names such as The All Nighter and Bee Student (a honey lager). They are looking for other beer names, got one? Soon you might hold the bragging rights of coming up with the name for beers sold in North Carolina & the surrounding area. I was thinking of the James Joule Ale, named after the English brewer/physicist who came up with the unit of heat the Joule (J).

James Joule Ale...it brings the heat

Joule_James_Jeens_engraving.jpg

As an App grad ('98), I am happy to see this program at the university...I would love to go through it.

Double Major (Belgian)
Triple Major (Belgian)
Helles Week
The Chancellor (Barleywine)

not academic, but...
Black Saturday (stout)

Bill Henry's Bubbly (chemistry reference)
William Henry of Henry's gas law calculates partial pressures of gas in liquids....BEER BUBBLES

Freshman #15

Dropout Stout

You know what? It's a helluva smart idea, I think, for a school to develop a brewing program. There's only what, two or three places in the country where one can study brewing, UC-Davis and a couple others. If you're looking for a way to keep up admissions... figure there's a lot more guys like us, who'd love to learn to be professional brewers, than places where you can study.

Ideal would be a program that combined brewing with brew science and enough practical business/entrepreneurship courses so some could go out and have a good foundation for starting their own breweries.

Yosef's Black and Gold

Maybe a black and tan kind of thing? Can't seem to think of the right style for the name.

('01)

King Street Porter

Grandfather Stout

Sugar Mountain Pils

Watauga Weiss

The Hebron Wagon (if you don't know look up hebron colony)

Mountain Hippie IPA

Suck This, Asheville (Lambic)

Anyway, I think the names should reflect the unique area the school is in.
Very good news about the brewing program!

Co-ed killer cream ale (not PC)
Quantum Mechanics Quadruple (after a couple you might understand tunneling)
The Partition Function (blended beer)
Spring Break Saison (Brewed in the fall, matured until March)

Back