wanting to expand...need advice/opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobmarley

Reaction score
Hello all, I have been brewing for about two years now, and was wanting to expand my equipment. Currently my equipment consist of 3 carboys, two bottling buckets, and too many bucket fermenters. Along with airlocks, siphon tubes, hydrometers, and all those basics. I would really like a new kettle, burner, conical fermenter, siphon, and other pieces of equipment that are for more advanced users. I just really want to get every ones advice and opinions on this one since I will be investing a good amount of money in it. So any advice on the different companies and things of that sort would be greatly appreciated. Also, I wouldn't be obliged to buying used equipment. Thanks!

#1 - temperature controlled fermentation
#2 kettle for full boil/w burner

Conicals are nice and shiny, but it's more important to control the ferment temp. The yeast don't care if they're in a conical, bucket, better bottle or keg so long as the temp makes them cozy.

If you don't have the ability to do a full boil, I'd start collecting the equipment necessary. (MLT, burner, kettle, chiller....)

good luck :mug:

If you already have the ability to do full boil(meaning you're able to boil all of the wort at one time rather than boiling and toping up w/water post boil), then the choice, if it were me, would be to control ferment temps.

Also, I should have asked, AG or extract or somewhere in between?

Aha, I gotcha. Well im hoping at the end of the summer to do an all grain. But that would be my first time. Im doing to be doing two extracts before then.

What do you guys use to control fermentation temps? I've read about different products, but if I am going to stay with just using a ferm bucket and carboys, what means of control should I use?

I started out by buying one of those big tubs with the rope handles at Walmart, Home Depot, or Lowes ( ~ $10). Just set the carboy or bucket in there and add some water and frozen water bottles to control the temperature during fermentation. Be sure to cover it if it's a carboy to keep light off of it. If you search on here for "swamp coolers" you will get plenty of information.

I eventually got a fridge with a temperature control unit. This route is more investment though.

I agree. Get set up to go AG. Then fermentation control, your beers and you will thank you for it.

I ferment in the basement, which stays pretty close to 65F year round. I put the carboy in a bucket, fill with water, and use an aquarium heater to keep it at temp. That's a super easy, cheap fix.

Back