Should I filter my wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesjensen1068

Reaction score
Made a batch of Brown Ale (extract kit)...my first ever. My question is this. Should I filter the wort thru a strainer when pouring into my primary bucket....or should I just pour it as is??????

Cheers :mug:

Some filter or siphon from the side and some just dump it in & let the yeast deal with it. If you whirlpool the wort after chilling it you can pour or siphon the wort & leave most of the trub behind.

So it's a "You can do it if you want too - but it's not necessary" kind of thing. Thanks for the quick response. I'm always amazed at how quick posts get answered.

Cheers

i do it this way - put a sanitized paint strainer over my chiller and syphon from inside = nice clear wort.
click on photo for a larger image

Should I filter the wort thru a strainer when pouring into my primary bucket....or should I just pour it as is?

whirlpool the wort. see how deep you can get the whirlpool to go. then cover and let sit for 10 minutes. then siphon from the very edge of the pot into your fermenter. next aerate as much as possible.

I have a strainer inside my kettle angled to the side and when I whirpool, most all the hops and break get pulled to the center. I drain clear wort into a fermenter.

I whirl it around and try to leave at least some of the hop sludge in the bottom, but Im not sure it matters actually.

If you do tip it in it will just end up stuck to the side with the krauzen, or settle in the cake anyway

I commandered the SWMBO's strainer. It works great! I recently got a "that's where my strainer went!!!" She still let's me borrow it so long as it comes back clean.

I use a sanitized nylon grain bag attached to the top rim of my bucket and pour everything into the bucket. Then with sanitized hands I squeeze the bag to get all the wort and discard all the trub and hop leftovers. This seems to work better then a strainer for me.

Back