Big Mouth Bubbler Evo 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an EVO-2, I also have one of the original series. The EVO-2 is much thicker and lacks the original grid pattern which may have been part of the uniform thickness issue. I drilled the lid for a grommet and thermo well just as I did the original. I use a standard airlock. I always use a harness. At 63 I don't curl 60 pounds as well as I once did. I do have a negative comment. The lid on the original fit perfectly. Once loose, a flick of the thumb would spin the lid a turn or two. The new EVO-2 required a rather forceful twist to move the lid. Obviously the lid was dragging. The mold lines created a lump through the threads on the bottle neck. I ground the major diameter at the mold lines to the same as the rest of the threads and also relieved the excess glass at the thread root. The lid runs rather nicely now although still requiring more torque than the original. I do like the improvement in the glass and appreciate the ease of cleaning. That is why I purchased the first one. Plus glass is glass and I like glass for cleaning and sanitation. My evaluation is that the product is good and the best option for glass and ease of cleaning.

I have an EVO-2, I also have one of the original series. The EVO-2 is much thicker and lacks the original grid pattern which may have been part of the uniform thickness issue. I drilled the lid for a grommet and thermo well just as I did the original. I use a standard airlock. I always use a harness. At 63 I don't curl 60 pounds as well as I once did. I do have a negative comment. The lid on the original fit perfectly. Once loose, a flick of the thumb would spin the lid a turn or two. The new EVO-2 required a rather forceful twist to move the lid. Obviously the lid was dragging. The mold lines created a lump through the threads on the bottle neck. I ground the major diameter at the mold lines to the same as the rest of the threads and also relieved the excess glass at the thread root. The lid runs rather nicely now although still requiring more torque than the original. I do like the improvement in the glass and appreciate the ease of cleaning. That is why I purchased the first one. Plus glass is glass and I like glass for cleaning and sanitation. My evaluation is that the product is good and the best option for glass and ease of cleaning.

I too found the lid "sticky" but didn't check the cause. I figured they just made the opening .05mm wider or some such. Where'd you get your thermowell? I'm going to do the same to my lid. Already have the grommet.

I too found the lid "sticky" but didn't check the cause. I figured they just made the opening .05mm wider or some such. Where'd you get your thermowell? I'm going to do the same to my lid. Already have the grommet.
Some slight grinding did help the lid fit. I get my thermowells from www.brewershardware.com. I like the 3/8" x 16" straight walled model for the fermentors. That fits the same grommet as the airlocks.

20150221_175818_a.jpg

Looks nice. I used threaded thermowells from brewhardware.com on mine.

Thanks for heads up on that site...much cheaper than other sites....much.

Here's my PA fermenting away...notice the crazy krausen. That's 5.5 gallons in there.

Noticed the blowoff tube doesn't fit snugly in the hole. Bummer there actually. The opening is just a HAIR to big.

BUT, I took the lid to ace hardware. A 1.25 OD hose fits OVER the threaded portion of the lid quite snug.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1424623278.204083.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I use 15/16" tubing for a blowoff that fits inside. And sometimes I've been known to use 1" and taper the edge to make it fit if I was in a pinch.

i purchased a BMB v2 and have been unable to get the lid to seal. I purchased the extra seals with the vessel and found that using multiple seals is an improvement, but still no seal. I have examined the sealing surface and found no obvious low or high spots. I even purchased a second lid with the same results. i currently have used it for a PTE and i was looking forward to using it for dry hopping, but without a seal i dont trust it for post fermentation procedures.

i have some FDA approved silicone mat arriving shortly to make a proper seal for it.

I think someone had this issue before in the thread. I think it had something to do with the seam from the mold in the threads themselves on the glass.

Bubbles - "purposely in the glass"?

You folks must realize none of these "Bubblers" were actually designed for what NB is selling them for...

Cheers! :drunk:

It was designed by Northern Brewer... What do you think they designed it for?

These seem to have been made in various sizes for fermenting Kimchee in Asian markets.

NB seems to have modified the lids to make fermenting beer a bit easier.

Similar maybe. My roommate works in product development at NB and these were designed and manufactured for NB.

i purchased a BMB v2 and have been unable to get the lid to seal. I purchased the extra seals with the vessel and found that using multiple seals is an improvement, but still no seal. I have examined the sealing surface and found no obvious low or high spots. I even purchased a second lid with the same results. i currently have used it for a PTE and i was looking forward to using it for dry hopping, but without a seal i dont trust it for post fermentation procedures.

i have some FDA approved silicone mat arriving shortly to make a proper seal for it.

I think you're worrying too much. How exactly do you believe that foreign matter is going to get into the fermentor? Wild yeasts floating in the air are going to get under the lid, go through the threads, and up over the lip, get past the layer of CO2 that's sitting on top of the beer and then into your beer? That would be pretty freaking amazing.

Similar maybe. My roommate works in product development at NB and these were designed and manufactured for NB.

VERY similar. Right up to the lid with the integrated "bubbler" airlock...

I saw pictures from the internet when NB first came out with it. Pretty much EXACTLY the same thing, but the Kimchee fermenter came in smaller sizes. I'll see what I can find out.

I can't seem to find any pictures or links to them now. I will have to concede to your roommate's claim until I can find those links again.

The lid bubbler design has been around for ages in crocks. Maybe NB should think about selling 5G crockware fermentors?

I think you're worrying too much. How exactly do you believe that foreign matter is going to get into the fermentor? Wild yeasts floating in the air are going to get under the lid, go through the threads, and up over the lip, get past the layer of CO2 that's sitting on top of the beer and then into your beer? That would be pretty freaking amazing.

I harbor no pre-conceptions that i need a sealed container to keep out unwanted agents. I do want to limit the route any expelled gasses or blowoff follow to paths of my own design and not from any or all gaps they can find.

I have received my new seal material and cut the new seal in about 3 minutes. Once installed it achieved a good seal and airlock activity began (an indicator of a seal and not necessarily fermentation activity). I also noticed that the lack of seal caused the blowoff to seep out of the lid and not through my blowoff tube making a minor mess in my fermenter.

I harbor no pre-conceptions that i need a sealed container to keep out unwanted agents. I do want to limit the route any expelled gasses or blowoff follow to paths of my own design and not from any or all gaps they can find.

I have received my new seal material and cut the new seal in about 3 minutes. Once installed it achieved a good seal and airlock activity began (an indicator of a seal and not necessarily fermentation activity). I also noticed that the lack of seal caused the blowoff to seep out of the lid and not through my blowoff tube making a minor mess in my fermenter.

Fermcap-S, man. Problem solved.

VERY similar. Right up to the lid with the integrated "bubbler" airlock...

I stand corrected. Talked to my roommate last night and they had released the first version before he got back into product development and they did just source out an existing product. Version 2 was designed by Northern Brewer.

I was using one of these and on my first brew with it, found a crack in the bottom/side. It happened during fermentation no clue how. A tiny amount of beer leaked out causing the bubbler to stick to the carpet and there was a few dried up drops on the crack. Hopefully the beer isn't effected. Northern Brewer is sending me a new one to replace it.

I have a BMB Evo 2 and do not like the lid at all , I have to use four gaskets otherwise it won't tighten down enough to seal . Just my 02

I stand corrected. Talked to my roommate last night and they had released the first version before he got back into product development and they did just source out an existing product. Version 2 was designed by Northern Brewer.

^For those that were too slow to get it way earlier.

Rather doubt that NB did anything other than spec the lid on the 2nd version - and from all accounts so far, they failed at that, too...

Cheers!

awright42 - What size black grommet are you using for the thermowel on your Big Mouth Bubbler.

I have the BMB EVO2. Awesome, rugged, heavy! It is way more rugged than any carboy I have ever used. I hear those darned carboys can explode when you least expect it. All the naysayers regarding the durability should hold their tongues until they have some actual experience with the new version. I have had mine over 3 months and can say without fear of contradiction that it is an awesome tool. I do have the problem with the lid that folks have mentioned. Grinding that issue out tonight. Thanks for the fix!

I really like mine also, I've brewed used it for 3 batches now, so far with no issues. Really happy with the bmb evo2.
Currently a pacific coast ipa

I'm glad initial inspection seems to checkout, I definitely don't enjoy stories of my fellow homebrewers getting injured, but perhaps you should consider putting it through actual use before giving it an all caps stamp of approval.

Rev.

Hmmm ---

So let's see if I can follow this. I see a coffee cup that looks really well made. But my opinion that it is well made is meaningless until I've actually drank a cup of coffee from it?

Other's opinions and experience might have a bit more value than that.

Just my 2c worth.

Cheers!
:mug:

How about if that coffee cup was sold by a company that sold an earlier model with an alarming history of shattering, often causing rather gruesome bodily injury?

Would you be so positive about it - before ever once filling it with hot coffee?

I agree with the Rev...

Cheers!

[edit] ps, not for one minute do I believe any of these vessels were purpose-designed/built for brewing beer...

No carboy was ever designed specifically for brewing. And as far as bmbs go. I assure you there are more people with working units out there than broken ones. I actually have 3 in my arsenal and I built my whole fermentation chamber around them (because they fit)

I assure you there are more people with working units out there than broken ones.

I have a product that puts only 40% of it's users in the hospital.........
How many would you like to buy?

I have a product that puts only 40% of it's users in the hospital.........

How many would you like to buy?

Prove the 40% failure rate. Like I said I've got 3 of the originals and not a single problem with any of them. You do realize that not every homebrewer is a member of hbt.

^^ this guy wants to starts some sh!&^^

I like how you know everything. It was really nice of you to be here the whole time I was converting my fridge over.

I can see that this conversation is about to get real interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back