South Jersey/Philly Group Buy... ROUND 27!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:drunk:Hello Jeff, Just seeing if we all paid up and If the grain order was placed, and a Place Time and day is chosen yet?

I haven't see much posts about it for a few days now. Just wondering, cause it's my first group buy with your group. Not wanting to be a pest, just curious as I will have to Come up with a plan to be at the pick up coming over an hour away, only on the day you choose! Soo I'll be staying "TUNED":drunk: lol

Also ; Can anyone give any good ways of storing the large amounts of grains, AND if so what do you use and works for you? Of course I'm looking for the most cost effective but durable solutions. Stackable too?

I'm really looking for "AIRTIGHT, BUG free grain, if I have to sit on the grain for a length of time. I'm also in a very humid area where storing will betaking place.

Also What size containers hold what lbs from your experience?
:mug: Thanks !

:drunk:Hello Jeff, Just seeing if we all paid up and If the grain order was placed, and a Place Time and day is chosen yet?

I haven't see much posts about it for a few days now. Just wondering, cause it's my first group buy with your group. Not wanting to be a pest, just curious as I will have to Come up with a plan to be at the pick up coming over an hour away, only on the day you choose! Soo I'll be staying "TUNED":drunk: lol

Also ; Can anyone give any good ways of storing the large amounts of grains, AND if so what do you use and works for you? Of course I'm looking for the most cost effective but durable solutions. Stackable too?

I'm really looking for "AIRTIGHT, BUG free grain, if I have to sit on the grain for a length of time. I'm also in a very humid area where storing will betaking place.

I use the large Rubbermaid Totes with tight lids to store my large base grains and Lowe's 5 gallon buckets with super-tight lids for my specialty grains. As long as you keep them dry and cool, you should be able to store your grains for up to year with no issues. Moisture and heat are the enemy of long-term storage.

I'm new to bulk grains, too, but from my little experience:5 gallons is roughly equal to 25 lbs grain. I am using bakery buckets that I got for free from my local Acme bakery in 4 and 5 gallon sizes. These are stack-able and come with lids with rubber gaskets which seem to seal pretty tightly. That seems to cover just about all your criteria.

PM will go out with the pick-up location and date when everything gets sorted.

all payments are in! The order was just sent over to NCM. I'll post the pickup date when i get word back from them!

now begins what we refer to on my cigar forums as the peepee dance. Always seems like forever between the order going in and delivery lol

now begins what we refer to on my cigar forums as the peepee dance. Always seems like forever between the order going in and delivery lol

haha....no peepee dance with these group buys!!! you want a peepee dance, check out some of the other group buy threads....I swear their heirs end up picking up the grain :)

I use the large Rubbermaid Totes with tight lids to store my large base grains and Lowe's 5 gallon buckets with super-tight lids for my specialty grains. As long as you keep them dry and cool, you should be able to store your grains for up to year with no issues. Moisture and heat are the enemy of long-term storage.

I'm new to bulk grains, too, but from my little experience:5 gallons is roughly equal to 25 lbs grain. I am using bakery buckets that I got for free from my local Acme bakery in 4 and 5 gallon sizes. These are stack-able and come with lids with rubber gaskets which seem to seal pretty tightly. That seems to cover just about all your criteria.

PM will go out with the pick-up location and date when everything gets sorted.

Thanks guys, I'm really kinda obsessing over the air tightness of the containers. I get alot of humidity. I don't have central A/C.... FREE would be even better!!!
:mug:

home depot buckets and the lids with rubber o-rings are cheap airtight and perfect for grain. easy to carry around also

I use the Homer Buckets from Home Depot as well. The lids start to crack after opening them a few times, but the lids are pretty cheap and I've started to be a bit more careful with them.

Looks like Thursday or Friday of next week for delivery. The email was a little unclear so i'm going to call tomorrow afternoon for exact confirmation. Stay tuned!

Looks like Thursday or Friday of next week for delivery. The email was a little unclear so i'm going to call tomorrow afternoon for exact confirmation. Stay tuned!

Next thursday or friday? It might be in the 90s by then. Everyone hydrate up. If you fall over, your grain is free game. :D

kapbrew13 said:
Next thursday or friday? It might be in the 90s by then. Everyone hydrate up. If you fall over, your grain is free game. :D

It's like The Hunger Games at these pickups. Ha!

Everyone should have received a PM by now. See everyone Thursday :rockin:

Cool, is there overhead lighting? Or will it be like a cowboy ring of headlights LOL
how long do these grain pick ups last? The buisness end, not including the "After Party" LOL

Lordura, if you have any more of the QTs candi syurp dark, I'll take a bag or too .
Thanks

Esmitee said:
Cool, is there overhead lighting? Or will it be like a cowboy ring of headlights LOL
how long do these grain pick ups last? The buisness end, not including the "After Party" LOL

Lordura, if you have any more of the QTs candi syurp dark, I'll take a bag or too .
Thanks

Park your ride in a circle around the grain pallets. Head lights on and chant to brew gods.

Shouldn't be too dark.

kapbrew13 said:
Park your ride in a circle around the grain pallets. Head lights on and chant to brew gods.

Shouldn't be too dark.

Should we tell him about the "hazing" for first timers?

just looking for a last hope....can anyone help me and hold my grains please.........ill get them when its good for you.....i got springsteen tickets on thursday night....thanks,luke"gasman"

just looking for a last hope....can anyone help me and hold my grains please.........ill get them when its good for you.....i got springsteen tickets on thursday night....thanks,luke"gasman"

I might be able to, as long as I can fit them in my car. I live in Philly but work in Marlton so if I do hold them you can pick them up at either. I'll try and figure out if I can fit them and let you know.

gasman said:

I'm in Audubon if thats easier for you.

gasman said:

If you're stuck i can grab your grains. I live in Sicklerville and work at the pick up site.

Only hours to go at this point!

Don't forget... If anyone is interested i will have quarts of belgian Dark Candi D2 syrup on hand tonight for $10/Qt. That's roughly 3lbs.
"This syrup’s flavor is a mix of burnt sugar, figs, ripe fruit, toffee and dark chocolate. Highly fermentable."

Only hours to go at this point!

Don't forget... If anyone is interested i will have quarts of belgian Dark Candi D2 syrup on hand tonight for $10/Qt. That's roughly 3lbs.
"This syrup’s flavor is a mix of burnt sugar, figs, ripe fruit, toffee and dark chocolate. Highly fermentable."

I'll probably grab a quart. Does this stuff have a shelf life?

I may not be able to make pickup tonight because I'm on call at the hospital. Things look OK for now, but that can change anytime. If I'm there tho, I can take your grain gasman...I live by the Atco raceway.
If I'm not able to make it can someone hold MY grain?

05m50dan said:
I may not be able to make pickup tonight because I'm on call at the hospital. Things look OK for now, but that can change anytime. If I'm there tho, I can take your grain gasman...I live by the Atco raceway.
If I'm not able to make it can someone hold MY grain?

Where do you work and live?

Back