Pilsen Disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thdewitt

Reaction score
Today I decided to take a few pictures of my brew day. I was making an All Grain Czech Pilsner and was very happy to get going. After taking these pictures and working hard for 6 hours I finally had 7 golden gallons of Pilsner cooling with my whirpool chiller in the kettle. No mistakes, no surprises, hit my SG. That never happens to me. There is always one mistake. I had a few IPA's along the way and was so happy to get pumping to the fermenter that I lifted the whirpool chiller out of the kettle, set it down, unplugged the pump an d went in to get the yeast. When I came back out to start the drain off in to the fermenter, the kettle was empty. That's right!!!! I didn't close off the boil kettle valve and the entire batch siphoned through the line to the pump. Beer gone. Now I have 4 Wyeast Pisner Activator packs sitting in the laundry room with nothing to call home. Wasted as I have to go out of town for a week tomorrow. I hate brewing. Im taking a break for awhile.
:mad:

IMG_2098.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_2094.jpg

Oh, man. That's painful. My condolences. I'm working on a pilsner as I write this, and the though of losing all that work to a booboo hurts.

Side note: I don't usually start drinking beer until the chiller goes in the kettle. That way, I keep a clear head for the brewing, but can start getting prepared for the cleaning, which always goes better with beer.

Side note: I don't usually start drinking beer until the chiller goes in the kettle. That way, I keep a clear head for the brewing, but can start getting prepared for the cleaning, which always goes better with beer.

I have a similar philosophy. I wait until dough in of my second mash.:drunk:

Well that will only happen 1 time. Forgetting anything will make you paranoid about not screwing up in your next brews. Everyone has done something horrible at one time and though painful we are much better after that. You have some really nice equipment I must say.

My condolences for your loss.

Let's have a moment of silence People...

Somebody tell those kids in drunken ramblings to pipe down.

I don't know what to say except, I am truly sorry. Whatever you do, don't 'take a break' from brewing. You're now down a batch, so you have to brew two next weekend.

Wow, that's a pretty big "d'oh!". Any violence or non-stop cursing? I know I would have... or maybe just cried. And I'm not violent or emotional.

I know it's ironic, but I never drink and brew.

All very funny comments. Thanks for cheering me up a little bit. I was very bitter yesterday, but today I am already thinking in my head about the batch I will brew on Saturday. And yes, I think Steve is right, I need to do a double batch this week. Does anyone know if Wyeast Activator packs that have been activated will last 7 days from Saturday to Saturday at room temp, or 50 degree refride. They are Urquell Pilsner strain.

Thanks everyone, Tom

Does anyone know if Wyeast Activator packs that have been activated will last 7 days from Saturday to Saturday at room temp, or 50 degree refride. They are Urquell Pilsner strain.

Thanks everyone, Tom

I'd put them in the fridge and make a starter with them on Wednesday night. If you have activity in the starter, you'll be fine. I don't think you'll have any problems.

Latest posts

Back