No carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanD30

Reaction score
I brewed a light lager about 2 months ago. Everything seemed to be progressing well. I primed with 3/4 cup corn sugar and bottled the beer on 4/14/07. 2 weeks later i opened one of the beers and there was no carbonation. I figured since it was a lager it may just take longer so i waited another 2 weeks and opened one up today however there is still no carbonation. The only solution i can think of is to pour each remaining bottle back into a fermenting bucket and add a 1/2 package of yeast and another 3/4 cup corn sugar. Does this sound like a good idea, or does anyone have suggestions on what to do?

What temps are the bottles being held at? What kind of yeast are you using? Are you sure you mixed the priming sugars in well?

I used s-23 Lager yeast...bottles are being stored at 45 degs. fairly sure i mixed the priming sugars well. this is the 5th bath i've made and have never had a problem so far.

Turn the bottles upside down and back and get the temperature up to 75F. Leave them for a couple of weeks and check them. Good luck.

Don't open them and pour them into a container! You'll aerate it terribly. The best thing is to warm them up to 70 degrees or so until they carbonate. Then you can cool them.

I've only made one lager and am starting on another. Lagers take longer to ferment in both primary and secondary, and then the cold lagering period. After the lagering is over, you bottle and can carbonate at room temperature. I don't think they'll carbonate at such a low temp.

Back