Grilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logadacious

Reaction score
So I'm too cheap to buy a grill. So I took my George foreman outside to replicate the sense of normalcy.

Yup. Smoking is one thing. Money is well spent there. If you want to grill on charcoal all you need is a way to suspend a grate over the fire.

Yup. Smoking is one thing. Money is well spent there. If you want to grill on charcoal all you need is a way to suspend a grate over the fire.

Agreed. I can build an improv charcoal/woodfire grill out of crap in my house. Now a SMOKER on the other hand, requires a good trash can, a hot plate and said grate :mug:

4 cinder blocks & an oven rack; or spend $20 on a cheapo grill from a hardware store or grocery store, or Walmart.

I got my older Charbroil gas grill that I just replaced the burner in again. Plus, I fixed up a friend's older grill, and I just got what looks to be an almost new propane hibachi type thing from the MIL this weekend. Oh, and I have a portable charcoal grill in the shape of a very large Budweiser Can that I'll never fire up. And I passed on another propane grill that probably only needed to be cleaned from the BIL.

Seriously, I got grills coming out my @zz!

Craigslist is your friend here.

I picked up a stainless 4-burner propane last year, and another time picked up a Weber 12-in classic charcoal grill. Both free. Got them on my way home from work, too.

A little off topic but I'm smoking some ribs as we speak as I'm trying to kick a keg(I need it for another beer). I have a bad, bad feeling I'm going to be drunk by the time the ribs are done. Gotta I love beer.

The poor mans way...

image-4026219827.jpg

Yeah the price point is pretty far up there. I am comforted in the fact that in five years it shows pretty much zero wear. If it ever dies, I may buy one of those char-grill drum things, we made some ribs on my buddy's new one on sunday, made some really good ribs. Actually I will probably buy another egg!

Our grandpa had (in his extremely epic back yard) a 6 1/2'(L) by 4' (W) pit BBQ encased by brick. Holy crap--this thing would attract neighbors from half-way across town when he lit it up. Then again, he made his own sausages & marinades, and also taught 3 kids & 5 grand-kids how gas/propane grills are evil in every way possible, and that the smell of sweet San Luis mesquite wood seeping into a few choice rib-eyes is the closest thing to heaven that we will ever get.

Sadly, it fell into disrepair after he died & we wound up having to tear it out in favor of a cast iron rolling BBQ (about 3'x2'). *sadface*

I'll probably go with a gas grill

Stay away from the infrared branded grills. The big iron pan takes forever to heat the grill and makes it damn near impossible for searing and grilling at the same time. And eventually the grease bakes into the iron infrared pan causing everythingto taste like what you cook most.

Back