Sausagefest 2011!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bacon = done
Jagerwurst = done
PAstrami = still slow roasting in oven per recipe for another hour or so

In the mean time, I defrosted a couple sweet italian links and a couple garlic and red wine links... and am going with the below recipe. I've made it before and it was easy and full of win.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound Italian sausage links
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 (1 pound) package fresh gnocchi
chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
Directions

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add sausages and cook until browned and firm, about 10 minutes. Cut sausages into 1/2 inch slices, return to the skillet, and continue cooking until no longer pink. Drain sausage slices on a paper towel lined plate.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat; stir in onion and cook until the onion softens and turns translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning; cook until the garlic softens, about 2 minutes. Pour in crushed tomatoes, water, salt, sugar. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add gnocchi and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until pasta floats; drain.
Meanwhile, stir Italian sausage slices into sauce to rewarm. Toss pasta with sauce, and sprinkle with chopped parsley and grated Romano cheese to serve.

Small amount of additional pron.

The pastrami once it was done slow roasting (it's like buttah). The gnocci and sausage recipe above and the Jagerwurst with a little mustid.

Pastrami.JPG

gnocci.JPG

jager.JPG

I'm eyeballing that gnocci and sausage. The brewpub around here used to have a dish like that on the menu. Phenomenally good. Missed lunch today, I'm DYING of hunger here and that looks like it would fill my belly up nicely.

The last of the left over ground pork from SausageFest (I froze it).

... 7 lbs of Andouille just out of the smoker. This is gotta be my favorite outta the sausage I make.

tn.jpeg

Can you eat the andouille straight up or do you have to serve it incorporated into some dish?

Also, did you take the skin off the bacon before you smoked it? I'm thinking about rubbing some course cracked black pepper lightly over all sides of one of the slabs. If I take the skin off first the pepper on that side will stay as part of the slab. That seems preferable to me over rubbing it on and then having to cut off the skin along with the pepper. But if you need the skin to stay on for the smoking the so be it.
Al is going to make a few Goudas and I'm going to cold smoke those next week.

I eat the andouille straight up all the time. Toss it on the grill or a grill pan, slice it up with a good mustard (like I have above with the Jager). It's quality stuff. Also I use it in omelettes for breakfast.

I mainly use it for jambalaya though.

i take the skin off the bacon before smoking.

Hanging more meat tonight. The two brescaolas I cured the night of Sausagefest are ready to hang.

also... made a carbonnara the other night outta the pancetta I've had hanging for a bit. Uhh... it didn't suck at all.

Which one of you guys has a 10 minute video of a 24 hour pig roast on YouTube? Some guy went all out with the rig, 60 ft slip and slide, and 13 or 14 different homebrews on tap. I was drooling! I wish I had the time, room, and capital all you meatfreaks have, I'm jealous!

(raising my hand)

That was two years ago... this past year we roasted a bigger pig... 21 taps... a ramp into a kiddie pool at the end of the slip and slide... the epicosity continues.

- go to youtube
- search "hossthepatsfan, stuffed pig"
- hit play
- enjoy

(raising my hand)

That was two years ago... this past year we roasted a bigger pig... 21 taps... a ramp into a kiddie pool at the end of the slip and slide... the epicosity continues.

- go to youtube
- search "hossthepatsfan, stuffed pig"
- hit play
- enjoy

I already watched the first one, my curiosity can't handle another! I'll have a pig buried in my little backyard cookin' away before you know it!

Seriously good stuff man! I'll be in MA visiting my family this summer (Rehoboth, Boston, S. Attleboro) and RI as well, and if you're roasting another one, I would love to invite myself haha!

S. Attleboro is a few miles down the road from me... if you're around in mid-July, it's a possibility. No idea what the date is goin to be yet.

Watch the "pigcowturduckenlingdouille" vid. Trust me...

... and this year for the big pig roast I'm going to scale up the pigcowturduckenlingdouille to a 240+lb pig.

S. Attleboro is a few miles down the road from me... if you're around in mid-July, it's a possibility. No idea what the date is goin to be yet.

Watch the "pigcowturduckenlingdouille" vid. Trust me...

... and this year for the big pig roast I'm going to scale up the pigcowturduckenlingdouille to a 240+lb pig.

I couldn't find the stuffed one, but watched the PigCowTurduckenDouille"
I was cracking up at the "Oh man, this is disgusting, looks like a massacre" comment!

same vid... I tagged it with "stuffed pig" so it would be easier to find.

It was tremendous.

so right now, I'm laying out plans to build a big temporary "brining chamber" so I can brine the 240 lb pig for maybe a week. I have a pretty solid idea of how I'm going to do it.

It was tremendous.

so right now, I'm laying out plans to build a big temporary "brining chamber" so I can brine the 240 lb pig for maybe a week. I have a pretty solid idea of how I'm going to do it.

Meh, just let Paulie build you a "MegaBrine" chamber out of an old bathtub and a screen door.

It was tremendous.

And you mock me?

PTN

Latest posts

Back