Bottle Exploded... Wife Is Pissed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangus_kahn

Reaction score
Crap... First batch; I bottled a dunkelweizen after 7 days in the primary. The fermentation was hot, so Yooper said to let it ferment longer but I ignored her advice because I'm a genius.

Well... a bottle cap exploded off the top of one of the brews today, getting beer on stuff in the closet and now my wife is unhappy. She already didn't like that the kitchen was getting messy, there was a carboy in the bath tub, and that beer bottles were stacked up in the storage closet taking up room in our already-small condo. Could this be the last straw???

Am I going to have more exploding bottles? How do I fix this?

Thanks for the help.

You could at least put them in closed boxes or in a big rubbermaid/plastic tub with a lid on it to contain the damage. What did you bottle with? Corn sugar? How much etc?

How many can you fit in your fridge?
Check one to see if it's carbed enough.
If one exploded, I'd guess they all are finished carbing.
Chilling them is the only hope you have to avoid more explosions!
:drunk:

Tell her to deal, this sh*t happens.

/ah, the benefits of being a gay man.
//time to pop open another bottle of Duvel.:drunk:

Geez, that sucks. Sometimes, I hate saying "I told you so".

So, now, get them in a safe place that's not too warm. Like a rubbermaid container with a lid, or in a fridge that won't make a mess if it does explode. I deally, you'd have a cold place like a cellar but I'm thinking that's not common in Texas.

Chill the ones you can. But please, be very careful when you open any of them. If you have any more explode, you may want to consider disposing of them all. Glass grenades are no joke, and you don't want to risk your safety just for beer. (I can't believe I said that!)

Don't stop brewing! Just never again bottle after only 7 days, no mattter what. I've never had a bottle bomb, and I've been brewing for a while. Patience will have rewards, I promise!

+1 on getting as many into the fridge as you can and putting the rest in a beerproof environment.

+about a billion on listening to Yooper.

AND BE CAREFUL HANDLING THAT BEER.
Not much in homebrewing is dangerous outside of breaking a carboy and glass grenades. At least wear eye protection and gloves, and yes once again listen to Yooper.
I don't but I'm a genius. (I know someday that will come back to slap me too). :p

Back