Sunday morning AG..Edwort's Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawgbranch

Reaction score
I just got the Mash going on my second batch of Edwort's Haus Pale Ale. This one was so good I had to have it for the 4th. Dough-in at 6:50am!! (A new brewhouse record and, the first time to dough-in with coffee, not Homebrew)

This is my 5th AG brew and up till now, I had Batch Sparged with 2 equal batches. Today I am gonna go with a Single Batch Sparge. Other than that, it should be a normal brew day for an outstanding beer.

Thanks for such and easy and delicious recipe Ed!

with the single batch sparge, make sure to stir and drain it very very slowly. it should still take about 45 minutes to sparge. also, keep some extra sparge water handy in case you don't hit your pre-boil volume. nice job on the early-bird session!

nice job on the early-bird session!

With the Heat Index over 100 degrees, I almost have no choice. Tis real hot here in Louisiana and no rain in sight.....

Thanks for the Sparge tip. I thought once vorlauf was done you could let her rip. That may explain my extract eff. of late.

Cheers!

Since going AG, I find that my brewing while having home brew has stopped. I now drink AFTER the beer is safely in the fermentor...

I live in N Texas, so I can fully relate having to brew very early. And yes, Eds Pale Ale recipe is the bomb. I made it in mini-mash form before going AG, and loved it.

I dont know about your set up, but I'm a batch sparger as well. When I went from doing 2 batches to just one large one me efficiency numbers dropped off 5-6 points, so watch out for that. Making sure you get up to 168-170 for a few min will help, after that you should be able to let'er rip with with no problems.

Not drinking and brewing? I think thats illegal. It should be anyways.

I don't drink when I brew, either. Don't want to mess things up, and I usually brew too early in the day for me - it's plenty hot here in east Texas too. As soon as the beer's in the carboy and the mess is cleaned up, it's Miller . . . er, I mean, Ed's Haus Pale Ale time.

The Haus pale was great in a mini-mash version and I have an AG version waiting for the keg now. A great recipe for sure.

blackwater, you take 45 mins to batch sparge? Is this right? I thought everyone just adds the sparge water, waits 5-10 mins, then cranks open the ball valve and drains the MLT in like less than 5 mins when batch sparging?

this is Cut and paste right from Denny Conns write up.
(NOTE:quick draining is a benefit, not a requirement, of batch sparging. I recommend you start the recirculation with the valve just cracked open, to set the grain bed correctly. After you return the vorlaufed portion to the mash tun, you can open the valve whatever amount works for your system), and an addition of sparge water is added. This is stirred into the mash, and after recirculation is once more drained as quickly as the system will allow. Sometimes, multiple batches are added if necessary or an additional infusion is made before

(website) dennybrew

Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale was a smash for the 4th. I tapped it at 6pm Friday night and it was spitting just over 24 hours later. The best thing about it was there was only 4 people drinking on it that had ever had homebrew before. I just love it when someone says, "You brewed this, it was brewed here?"
Man, when that thing started spitting the virtue of 10 gallon batches smacked me in the face.....again.
(I did have an American Wheat ready as well but there were frowns when the HPA gave out)
Thanks again for the recipe Ed!

Back