Remember when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was always that one kid you didn't like in grade school.

scan0041.jpg

Remember when you would put $0.72 of gas in your tank because you spent the rest of your money on $1.99 six pack of Natural Light?

And you were only 16.

I remember making beer runs across the state line for a few cases of Texas tallboys (24 oz. cans) of Schlitz. Legal drinking age in TX was still 18 then.
Usually followed by a long-ass drive out into the desert for a bonfire & an all night party.
Regards, GF.

ttboy1.jpg

Hmmmm...I guess I must go back a bit further than most of you. I can remember during my freshman year in college I worked part-time at a gas station. On Sundays, the boss would close the repair bays, and all we'd do is pump gas. And the boss made sure we were a cent or two cheaper than any of the closest stations. And we sold gas for...wait for it...

TWENTY-SEVEN CENTS A GALLON! Most cars could fill up for about five bucks!

glenn514:mug:

I guess I go back just as far. I remember the major brands going for 27 or 28 cents, but when I first started driving I'd go to the pumps connected to the Leonard's department store where I could get 4 gallons for $1.

I remember when the gas stations had to start charging per ½ gallon when it went over $1 a gallon because the pumps didn't have spaces on the left side of the decimal in the price

I guess I go back just as far. I remember the major brands going for 27 or 28 cents, but when I first started driving I'd go to the pumps connected to the Leonard's department store where I could get 4 gallons for $1.
I worked the night shift at the gas station, we would jack the price up to 35 cents. Yeah $5 and you could buy beer, smokes and drive all night!

I worked at a Sinclair station in 69 .I pumped ten dollars worth in a 62 Lincoln .I told every body I knew because there were literally no cars with a tank big enough to hold that much gas in those days .

I remember the Altair.... pain in the butt to boot up. My dad worked for Fairchild and then TI. My senior year in high school I had an Apple 1, when I showed up at a Big Ten U the next year and walked into a fortran class using punch cards it was a major culture shock.

I don't think I ever bought a record but I do have a distinct memory of my brother buying a 45 of Pac-Man Fever.

Funny how things come back around. All my vinyl suddenly is "cool" according to my kids, who are now getting into listening to "real" recordings again. Except of course they wish I had more Beatles and less BTO. Philistines.

I still have my copies of Let it Be, The White Album, The Red Album, and the Blue album I got as a kid in the mid 70's. I also have an original copy of "The Last Waltz" on vinyl that used to belong to my parents.

I've got all the original doors albums, most of the early stones releases and several woodstock and hendrix albums, then a mish-mash of different releases and bands from the 80's, up to relatively current picture discs of new bands.

I remember when shot gun shells were cheap and everyone had boxes of vinyl that they would gladly give away to use in place of clay pigeons. Ah, the good ole days.

I remember the first sign of fall, burning leaves in the gutter. the whole
neighborhood smelled of oak leaves burning. then some ars would have a
12 bushel fire going at once. ended that tradition quick ... :mad:

Tried to explain to my kids what a Pager was last night I remember thinking it was so great to get sports scores updates every 10-15 min.

I remember going to Radio Shack to get a tube for our TV. Do I get bonus points for two "remember whens"? Who goes to Radio Shack AND who buys tubes! :D

We didn't have a Radio Shack but the Gambles Hardware store sold tubes. They also had a tube tester for radios and TVs to use free of charge.

Knob and tube wiring. A little scary to find in an old house that appeared to be updated.

I grew up in a house that had knob and tube wiring. They usually leave it be when they disconnect it and update. No way you can pull that thru the walls. Plus sometimes there's some live wire you didn't know about and pull would cause more danger. At least that what they told us. We actually had free water because for some reason the main pipe avoided the meter when indoor plumbing was installed. Good to have friends in the dpw at that time. Not good when a 100 year old pipe rusts out and the town shutoff valve doesn't turn off the water.

Found a lot of dead mice around those knob and tubes :)

Haha... The old 16-bit binary switch hex programmables. I learned to do that back in 1988. The Army still had them in the inventory for training when I was chasing microcode signatures on a microprocessor databus spread across four circuit boards the size of a large pizza box.

When I got my driver's license gas was $0.27 per gallon, unless gas stations were having a price war, then it was $0.19(taxes). Candy bars were a nickel, a large bottle of Coca Cola was the 10 ounce, otherwise it was a 7 ounce. Seat belts became mandatory the year I started driving, I don't think many cars had shoulder straps yet. When I was a junior in high school one of the rich kids showed up with about a one pound calculator that could add, subtract, multiply, divide AND figure square roots. Yep, I'm old.

I grew up in a house that had knob and tube wiring. They usually leave it be when they disconnect it and update. No way you can pull that thru the walls. Plus sometimes there's some live wire you didn't know about and pull would cause more danger. At least that what they told us. We actually had free water because for some reason the main pipe avoided the meter when indoor plumbing was installed. Good to have friends in the dpw at that time. Not good when a 100 year old pipe rusts out and the town shutoff valve doesn't turn off the water.

Found a lot of dead mice around those knob and tubes :)

My old house had circuit breakers, but the romex was wired into the old system especially in the ceilings. And of course, we only discovered that little fact by doing some renovations.

Cheap enough to sit it on the sidewalk and hit it with a hammer.Then unroll it to finish off the ones that weren't spent.

:)

Prelude to getting older and graduating to emptying the powder out of fireworks into piles in the street and lighting it. Hugely entertaining watching what normally took 30 seconds to burn up going up in one big flash in half a second. Good times.

Gasoline was fun too. Dangerous and unpredictable, but fun.

I remember countless hours experimenting with gunpowder and I'm lucky I still have eyebrows!

Watching styrofoam dissolve in gasoline was always a favorite before applying an ignition source. :D

Strohs-Beer-Bottles-Paper-Label-Stroh-Brewing-Company_56841-1.jpg

My Dad and uncles always had these scattered in with Genesee (Gennys) and Hamms.

WTF is "fire brewed beer"?!?

Latest posts

Back