Aged Rauchbier discovered...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brrman

Reaction score
A bunch of friends get together once a year in Wisconsin (nice central point for everyone all over the US) - this years trip was this past weekend. When I arrived I went to put my beer in the fridge. I move things about and see these two bottles that have no labels in the back. I ask what they were - no one else home brews in the group.

Greg (host) says it is some beer from last year (he doesn’t drink beer at all) – so I immediately grin wide and know that I now have 2 bottles of 2-year aged Rauchbier on my hands… I had brought them up last year and must have forgotten them.

OMG it was absolutely fantastic – it actually had a smooth velvety flavor of smoked bacon. So I left a bottle of Oatmeal Stout in the fridge when I left. Told Greg not to move it so I can try it at next year’s get together.

It was like finding a $100 bill in some missing pants... :tank:

Agreed. Cellaring beer and forgetting about it, to stumble upon it a year or so down the road, is an excellent 'find'.

I've had plenty of marginal beers age to become really good beer particularly a triple i bottled last fall its a totally different beer than 6 months ago

Absolutely love aging beers! I have a couple cases of varying types stacked away...all of them are beers > 8% ABV, and some (DFH 120 min IPA and Worldwide Stout) are up to 18%...those last ones are being saved for when my kids (currently age 1 and 3) turn 21.

Back