Help- Need a Blind Hole Plug

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucke

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a quasi real ale system rigged up.

The only problem- the cubitainers are not equipped to allow oxygen to enter, which is necessary to attain real ale. I’ve gotten around this by tilting the cubitainer and opening the spigot… allowing outside air to enter… but this disturbs the yeast sediment.

I would like to use this 5 Liter Space Saver instead. It still needs another opening to allow air to enter, preferably on or just beside the handle. The container is rigid, so an opening could be added. The easiest solution seems to be to just add a breather plug, such as those that used to be on fuel jugs. .. but I can’t find breather plugs for sale.

Anyone know where to find breather plugs or have an alternate way to add an opening for air? BTW, the container is very narrow... so reaching in an using a nut or backing is almost impossible.

Why don't you use the filter described in this post: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/946442-post90.html

Just insert it into a hole in the container. You can even close it off using a small end tubing piece. Or use a S-airlock with everclear in it. It will allow oxygen in without sucking in the everclear.

Chucke,

Over a few days, the cubitaner will let in plenty of oxygen because it is made of LDPE or HDPE polyethylene both of which have pretty good oxygen permeability. I would guess that letting the beer sit in the cubitaner for a week or two will give you plenty of real ale character, and then you will begin to find the beer getting too oxidized. You might try putting it in a bigger oxygen barrier container when you get close to the taste you want. Maybe wrap it in aluminum foil to prevent O2 from getting to it? Too lazy now to look up the references to oxygen permeability right now, but if you search you will find that cubitaners do let O2 through.

Back