Fermenting Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEM Australia

Reaction score
I just upgraded my brewery to include a refrigerator for fermenting. I live in a hot part of Australia and get bad results during the summer because the yeast gets too hot. I've tried all sorts of simple methods of cooling the fermenter, but when its over 30 celcius inside the house for most of the day it's not easy. I use DCL Saf Ale yeast and it needs temps between 16 and 23 celcius.

I went and bought a room air conditioner thermostat and wired it in place of the original thermostat, to give perfect fermenting and ageing conditions (I've set it on 18 celcius/64F).

When I want to drink it, I just shift a few bottles to the kitchen fridge.

I'm hoping for a dramatic quality improvement. Has anyone else done something similar? and what were the results?

JEM

Yeah we did that with a big chest freezer to make a lagering fridge. It should improve your beer quite a bit! Even when it's not "too hot" outside, you'll still be enjoying such a nice stable fermentation temp...no temp swings from day to night. It should be great.

Let us know how it goes :)

Janx

Janx said:
Yeah we did that with a big chest freezer to make a lagering fridge. It should improve your beer quite a bit! Even when it's not "too hot" outside, you'll still be enjoying such a nice stable fermentation temp...no temp swings from day to night. It should be great.

Let us know how it goes :)

Janx

Shall do..

Back