11 gallons of beer, one yeast packet ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Ok I want to brew an 11 gallon batch of a smaller gravity beer that all of my friends love. I have all of the ingredients except only one packet of the s-05 yeast I use. I could use a yeast cake BUT it is from a MUCH darker hoppier beer so that is out unless I wait and wash the yeast etc etc..Can I just make a starter a day or two ahead and get the yeast going and then cold crash, decant and split the starter between the two fermentors( can't do all 11 in one carboy)?

I would do a longer starter then that. I don't think you will have the count up to what you need in a day or two.

UGH.. I think I will just make the hour drive to the brew shop and buy more yeast. I am like a crack addict there though. I will go after a 2 packet of yeast and spend a hundred or more before I leave.

I don't get this. After all, the yeast are just multiplying like mad, right? Although I've never brewed more than 5 gallons at a time, it seems to me that it might just take another 24 more hours more to really start cooking...

What is the starting gravity? You just said "small." Did you check mrmalty.com?

I dont think it would be a problem if your gravity is small enough.

But here is an idea:

If you follow proper sanitation procedures, and assuming you use two fermenters for a 11 gallon batch, you could leave one fermenter unpitched while the other one gets a healthy krausen by day 2. Then, scoop off Krausen from fermenter 1 into fermenter 2.

According to mrmalty.com, once you get to 11 gallons of 1.028 wort, you need more then 1 packet, and that is if the yeast has a production date of today.

Then, scoop off Krausen from fermenter 1 into fermenter 2.

That is a really interesting idea.

I'd opt for that or rinsing the yeast from the previous batch. Harvested yeast always works really well for me. I think it makes better beer. The fact that it's free is just a bonus.

Latest posts

Back