Fermentation temp question re: going too low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to ferment a lager in the low 40s this way I can still serve out of the same chamber nice cold beer. S-23 says the temp range goes as low as 46. Is 4-6° lower going to really make much of a difference. I've made a ton of beers where I have fermented that much higher than the top end of the range and the beers have come up fine.

I want to ferment a lager in the low 40s this way I can still serve out of the same chamber nice cold beer. S-23 says the temp range goes as low as 46. Is 4-6° lower going to really make much of a difference. I've made a ton of beers where I have fermented that much higher than the top end of the range and the beers have come up fine.

Going too low may simply cause the yeast to go dormant. You may be able to do it, if the fermentation is very vigorous and you used a great big starter, but normally you'd have a very real risk of the yeast just stopping their work and going to sleep.

I've never had much luck going more than a couple of degrees lower than the optimum temperature with ales (I've had Nottingham as low as 57) but if it's a super vigorous fermentation, it worked out. I've never attempted it with lagers, since I like them at 48-50 degrees as a rule.

I've heard that the dried lager yeasts need to be a little bit higher & a D-Rest. you might be able to get away with doing that with a liquid strain from Wyeast or Whitelabs but I wouldn't test my luck on doing that with dried lager yeast. no matter what you do; pitch a ton of yeast....

Back