Force Carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabresfan44

Reaction score
First time kegging and I'm looking for a few pointers. From what I've read force carbonating seems the best and fastest way to carbonate. Looking for some help how exactly to do that

The easiest way is to just set it at 10-12 psi at 38-40 degrees for 10 days and then try it. That's what I do.

A faster way may be to set it at 30 psi for 36 hours, then purge and reset at 10-12 psi. It should carb up in three days that way.

I know some people set it at a high psi and shake the keg, but I've never known anyone who really had good results with that. It's foamy, and the sediment is all stirred up in it but you could probably carb it up in 30 minutes or so that way.

The quick method Yooper refers to would best be used on a brew that you had filtered prior to kegging. Filtering only ads a bit more time to the process, but if your really interested in having a quickly force carbed brew on your hands, try the filtering method along with the 30psi/Shake procedure and you likely can be drinking your clear brew the same day it is kegged. Granted it may be a bit foamy, but that is what you get for taking short cuts.

Salute! :mug:

The disadvantage I find with shaking to force carb is it always has a bite to it which I have heard is from carbonic acid forming from the CO2 going into solution. This taste dies down in a couple days.

Latest posts

Back