Zero minute hop addition... what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongo64

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know everyone does things different, But I am interested in what people do for zero minute hop additions. Do you add the hops and immediately and start to cool your batch? I seem to recall commercial brewers would transfer to whirlpool at this stage. What do you guys think would work best and why?

I drop "zero" minute hops at the 1-2 minute mark. That way they've actually got a chance to dissolve in the boil before I fire up the counterflow chiller which works ridiculously fast.

What about for those of us who do not have an immersion chiller (yet)? My running ice bath method takes about 30 minutes to bring down to cool enough temps to transfer to the primary, does that length of time at warmer temperatures have a significant effect?

according to ray daniels, hop oils are highly volatile, and alot can be driven off by the steam of the hot wort. but also the floral tasting compounds are accelerated in high temperatures. so the longer cool time might drive off oils, or might change the flavors a bit, but im guessing its nothin drastic. i used to add hops at flameout before i got a chiller and never had any bad results

I have pretty much switched over to a dry hop in the secondary rather than a 0 minute addition. I believe that I end up with a better aroma and flavor.

I have pretty much switched over to a dry hop in the secondary rather than a 0 minute addition. I believe that I end up with a better aroma and flavor.

You very definitely end up with a different aroma and flavor. Dunno about better as they both have their places.

I immerse the chiller for 10 minutes of boil, add clarifer (Irish moss), and just before I kick on the cold water I'll toss my whole flower hops in a fine mesh bag.

Hopback. I'm still testing things out with other pieces of equipment so the elevations weren't quite right. Had to lift the kettle off the burner onto the milk crates to get the valve above the hopback to gravity drain. From there it was pumped out through a CFC.

I drop the temp below 170 and turn off the chiller then add my aroma hops, stir for 20 minutes, the chiller back on. very nice aromas without adding any bitterness.

I drop the temp below 170 and turn off the chiller then add my aroma hops, stir for 20 minutes, the chiller back on. very nice aromas without adding any bitterness.

This is what I did for my last 2 batches. I think I like the results so far but I really cant do a side by side comparison. Previously I was dropping in the zero minute hops and turning on the chiller right away. It is interesting to hear what other people are doing.

I've had FAR better results by putting them in around the 180f or lower mark. I continue chilling as normal and leave them in at least 30 minutes. This gives maximum aroma. I've almost stopped dryhopping as a result.

Latest posts

Back