Central Veeyay Brewdown Ought-Eight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's do it again SOON

So, should we start planning Central VA brewday ought nine?

Let's start with a month and work the specifics out from there. I only get one weekend off per month, but I can be flexible for this event (days off are easy to come by at the beginning of the year).

So when, January, February or March?

Let's go with early february...that's my vote anyway.

February 1st is a Sunday, the 7th and 8th are Saturday and Sunday respectively and the weekend after that is Valentine's Day. I say Saturday, February 7th is a good pick, but I'm flexible.

Is there still interest in doing this? Or should we start another thread for the '09 brewdown?

Feb 1st is Super Bowl Sunday, so that's a no go for me. I can't do Feb 7th, we will be in Seattle visiting Brewtopia and the Naked City.

I say March or April...better weather.

As of right now February 7th is the date and we can easily do this again in March or April.

Evan and Dale are onboard (Dude's out). Who else is in?

I'll have a patio heater for the garage and we can come up with some good ideas for snacks...

I'll have to double check the work schedule. As long as the First Bank of Hagen has funds availible, I'm down

So...how did everyone's beers turn out from this event? It has to be enough time where everyone has racked at least once, right?

My LWPA is now in a keg, but not on gas quite yet. I want it to cold crash a bit and then I'll dry hop.

I tasted it, and it is far out. Nice and malty, I like the slightly higher mash temp I've been going with on my beers lately. I always think LWPA is too bitter out of secondary, but it always mellows nicely. I think this one might be a bit too old by the time nationals roll around, but I'm gonna save a few bottles and see how it ages.

So far so good though, this one is a keeper.

So...how did everyone's beers turn out from this event? It has to be enough time where everyone has racked at least once, right?

My LWPA is now in a keg, but not on gas quite yet. I want it to cold crash a bit and then I'll dry hop.

I tasted it, and it is far out. Nice and malty, I like the slightly higher mash temp I've been going with on my beers lately. I always think LWPA is too bitter out of secondary, but it always mellows nicely. I think this one might be a bit too old by the time nationals roll around, but I'm gonna save a few bottles and see how it ages.

So far so good though, this one is a keeper.

I guess I never check the alcohol tolerance of the Thames Valley strain. Turns out it's 10%. So, predictably, it pooped out around 11%, or 1.027. Not bad for a beer starting at 1.109, but I suspected fermentable sugars were still there. So, I racked it onto a Belgian Golden Ale cake, which I know has a higher tolerance. Lo and behold, it started back up, and dropped her down to 1.021-22.

So far, though, I'm REALLY impressed with the Thames Valley strain. It produced a very nice figgy character, with a bunch of fruit in the background, but relatively low ester/phenols. JZ's yeast origin chart says it's from "Henley of Thames", which I've never heard of. Anyway, so far, so good, though it has a long way to go before it's ready to actually drink. Still on the Golden Ale cake right now, then it'll be crash-cooled and sent to keg, then bottled from there.

I had racked my blonde to secodary about a week ago and added gelatin to clear a bit. I racked to a keg today and it was crystal clear and quite tasty. I figured that my bad thermometer would have made this beer as dry as my brown ale, but it is surprisingly malty.

So good news all around, huh?

I just want to add that I hate (myself) for missing this thread earlier. I sooooooo would have loved to have been there (as a noob) to hang and learn a few tricks.
Come to think of it, I think that I was in Roanoke during this time with the wife at one of her weddings. You know the worst part about this?

Every damn sign that I saw giving me the distance from Charlottesville made me think of Evan and the mass of diverse beers that he has on tap.

Do you know how many signs there are to remind you that Charlottesville is only X miles away?
Why didnt I know you folk when I still worked in radio and had to spend 2 weeks in C-Ville to rebuild their network?
*Sigh*
-Me

I just want to add that I hate (myself) for missing this thread earlier. I sooooooo would have loved to have been there (as a noob) to hang and learn a few tricks.
Come to think of it, I think that I was in Roanoke during this time with the wife at one of her weddings. You know the worst part about this?

Every damn sign that I saw giving me the distance from Charlottesville made me think of Evan and the mass of diverse beers that he has on tap.

Do you know how many signs there are to remind you that Charlottesville is only X miles away?
Why didnt I know you folk when I still worked in radio and had to spend 2 weeks in C-Ville to rebuild their network?
*Sigh*
-Me

We are having another brewday on Feb. 7, but alas, not at Evans with his numerous beers on tap--it's being held just south of Richmond.

And you're welcome to attend. :mug:

We are having another brewday on Feb. 7, but alas, not at Evans with his numerous beers on tap--it's being held just south of Richmond.

And you're welcome to attend. :mug:

You said SOUTH of Richmond correct? (Where would that put us?)

I just got a good chuckle as I Google Mapped Richmond VA right now and started scrolling South just to see where we might be landing. Of course Chesterville (Is that where you are?) popped up but - 'Brewers Crossroads' is just S of Richmond too... :mug:

(Just S of Emporia on the map inbetween Garysburg, Dahlia and Turners Crossroads.)

Something fun to look at on Google Maps.
Once again Google FTW!
-Me

K, just checked it with the SWMBO and she will be in DC for the weekend. This may be a daddy and Chloe visit, and Im not so sure on brewing myself. However, I am more than willing to bring what equipment I have (not filled with beer) to help others out. (i.e. mash tun, insulated turkey fryer etc)

Ill know more as the date approaches. Hell, Id just love to be able to hang out with other fellow brewers and learn a thing or 2!
-Me

This is a little more than a week away, just checking to see how much interest is still out there.

Last I knew it was Evan, Joemama were in and Dude was out. So who else is interested?

Any idea what's brewin? Think you might be able to pick me up some maris otter from WB?

I feel like I just responded to this. ;)

I just called Bob and I can pick up some MO before the 7th. I like the idea of brewing the mild. Where's the recipe?

EDIT: Oh yeah, I don't have a barley crusher, though.

I feel like I just responded to this. ;)

I just called Bob and I can pick up some MO before the 7th. I like the idea of brewing the mild. Where's the recipe?

EDIT: Oh yeah, I don't have a barley crusher, though.

Sorry, i never saw your response.

I can bring my BC with me, no problem. I'll put together a recipe tonight...

Oh, and I don't need a 55lb bag. I still have that sack of Warminster coming sometime in february, I just need enough for this recipe. Does he have it by the pound?

I was planning on ordering leaf hops from hopsdirect, but I know I won't use a whole pound by myself. Are you interested in leaf hops to avoid a recurrence of the previous pellet problems?

Oh, and I don't need a 55lb bag. I still have that sack of Warminster coming sometime in february, I just need enough for this recipe. Does he have it by the pound?

Yeah, he sells it by the pound as well. I wasn't sure how many people may be brewing this recipe.

I was planning on ordering leaf hops from hopsdirect, but I know I won't use a whole pound by myself. Are you interested in leaf hops to avoid a recurrence of the previous pellet problems?

depends on what you're ordering. I have a pound each of magnum and EKG on a UPS truck right now from hopsdirect. What were you thinking?

Yeah, he sells it by the pound as well. I wasn't sure how many people may be brewing this recipe.

yeah, I know, personally, I'm doing a 10 gallon batch, so, depending on how many people want to do it, we might end up just getting a better deal by buying a sack.

depends on what you're ordering. I have a pound each of magnum and EKG on a UPS truck right now from hopsdirect. What were you thinking?

Whatever I needed for this recipe. Wow, I'm putting a lot of pressure on you, aren't I?:D

Whatever I needed for this recipe. Wow, I'm putting a lot of pressure on you, aren't I?:D

For a mild, EKG or Fuggles. Just a bittering addition.

Sorry, I was being nosy. ;)

Did I miss the location? I might be able to convince my wife to take a roadtrip in the Old Dominion to see our old stomping grounds; if I'm welcome, of course.

well, if you want hops for THIS recipe, then don't order from hopsdirect unless you want to pay for expedited shipping. I placed my order on Saturday, and they won't be here until next wednesday.

Did I miss the location? I might be able to convince my wife to take a roadtrip in the Old Dominion to see our old stomping grounds.

it's at Lion's place, south of Richmond.

Did I miss the location? I might be able to convince my wife to take a roadtrip in the Old Dominion to see our old stomping grounds.

Chester, VA (just south of Richmond).

I also have not set up the Ustreamtv yet.

Latest posts

Back