beer coming out of regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrkinYards

Reaction score
I just kegged my first red ale and I cranked the psi up to 20 to set the keg or whatever then tried to turn it back down to 'serving' pressure and beer startec coming out of the regulator - is that normal?

OrkinYards said:
I just kegged my first red ale and I cranked the psi up to 20 to set the keg or whatever then tried to turn it back down to 'serving' pressure and beer startec coming out of the regulator - is that normal?

Can you be a bit more descriptive?

I'm assuming you went to 20 psi to "set" the lid seal. Did you carb the beer? In other words, did you set it to 20 psi for several days in the fridge? Or did you just set to 20 and pour a glass?

No.....beer coming out of the regulator is not normal

If you don't get a check valve, the least you can do is to vent the pressure off the keg first. Remove the disconnect, vent pressure, turn down the regulator, then connect disconnect again.

Repeat, get a check valve. They are much cheaper than a new regulator and easier than cleaning one.

You will have to clean yours.

david_42 said:
Repeat, get a check valve. They are much cheaper than a new regulator and easier than cleaning one.

You will have to clean yours.
Now that you mentioned it. These just came in the mail yesterday. Total for 6 including shipping? $13.00.

BackFlow.JPG

BackFlow1.JPG

BackFlow2.JPG

BackFlow4.JPG

No beer shall find its way upstream...

I got the same check valves, they work great and you can't beat the price. I got the more expensive ones because they were out of the cheapies - 40c difference. haha!

My Corny (pepsi style) the inlet tub isn't very long. Did you have your keg inverted or just really full?

I don't think it matters how long your gas dip tube is when your beer level is close to full. When you have a sudden depressurization, a LOT of CO2 comes out of solution. I mean, we can't see what's happening inside the keg, but I'd imagine it gets a foamy head on it when you vent hard.

And now to change the subject a little. Here is a photo that illustrates why I hate using worm style hose clamps! This is an example of what happens to the tubing when you over tighten them. They also tend to loosen up with changes in temperature. Oetiker stepless clamps are far superior.

7451-BackFlow.JPG

Bobby_M said:
I don't think it matters how long your gas dip tube is when your beer level is close to full. When you have a sudden depressurization, a LOT of CO2 comes out of solution. I mean, we can't see what's happening inside the keg, but I'd imagine it gets a foamy head on it when you vent hard.

I had an overcarbed keg that I needed to vent the pressure on, so I first vented some of the CO2 through the pressure release valve and then shook the bejeezus out of it. In order to not spray myself I vented the released gas by attaching a gas QD with no hose and directing the outlet into a pitcher. I got nearly a quart of foam spray doing that.

johnsma22 said:
And now to change the subject a little. Here is a photo that illustrates why I hate using worm style hose clamps! This is an example of what happens to the tubing when you over tighten them. They also tend to loosen up with changes in temperature. Oetiker stepless clamps are far superior.

7451-BackFlow.JPG

Yeah, but those don't randomly fall apart when you're loosening them like mine. Where's the fun in that?

Back