Recipe thrown together on brew day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ECUbrewer

Reaction score
I really wanted to brew a BIG all-grain pale ale and to incorporate some vienna into the mash. My LHBS was out, so on brew day I decided to throw in a pound of Rye instead. I was also short on 2-row so I added 2 lbs. of light extract at boil. I have no idea if this is frowned upon/what would happen, I just kinda did it!
Now I dont really know how to classify this beer.
Has anyone added rye to their IPAs?
What does it add to the beer?
Is adding extract to an all-grain at boil acceptable?

2.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
1.00 lb Rye Malt
1.00 oz Spalter (60 min)
1.00 oz Williamette (60 min)
0.50 oz Cascade (45)
0.50 oz Cascade (30)
0.50 oz Cascade (15)
0.50 oz Cascade (5)
California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

Ended up with an OG of ~1.072 so I've accomplished the ABV I wanted if everything goes to plan. Should be in a keg in about a month. Dont know what to expect but my fingers are crossed!

I really wanted to brew a BIG all-grain pale ale and to incorporate some vienna into the mash. My LHBS was out, so on brew day I decided to throw in a pound of Rye instead. I was also short on 2-row so I added 2 lbs. of light extract at boil. I have no idea if this is frowned upon/what would happen, I just kinda did it!
Now I dont really know how to classify this beer.
Has anyone added rye to their IPAs?
What does it add to the beer?
Is adding extract to an all-grain at boil acceptable?

2.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
1.00 lb Rye Malt
1.00 oz Spalter (60 min)
1.00 oz Williamette (60 min)
0.50 oz Cascade (45)
0.50 oz Cascade (30)
0.50 oz Cascade (15)
0.50 oz Cascade (5)
California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

Ended up with an OG of ~1.072 so I've accomplished the ABV I wanted if everything goes to plan. Should be in a keg in about a month. Dont know what to expect but my fingers are crossed!

Rye goes really well in IPA's. It adds a kind of spiciness to the beer.

Using some DME is perfectly fine.

I would double check the IBU's. There are quite a bit of hops early in the boil.

I would classify it as a rye IPA.

Thanks man, only came out to 49 IBUs on Beersmith and I filtered out all the hops when transfering into the primary. I hope the spiciness pulls through like you mentioned!

Thanks man, only came out to 49 IBUs on Beersmith and I filtered out all the hops when transfering into the primary. I hope the spiciness pulls through like you mentioned!

49 IBU sounds like a good balance with that malt bill. The rye flavor should come through. It's a fairly strong grain and usually used at low percentages. Let us know how it comes out.

Update - Just transfered to secondary and dry hopped with an oz of Amarillo. Gravity was at 1.010 so that equates to an ABV of ~ 8.11, certainly got what I asked for there! It tasted wonderful as well! Very excited to taste the finished product.

Delicious! Best I have brewed by far!

beerlacing.jpg

Latest posts

Back