Alaskan Smoked Porter Extract Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rassisland

Reaction score
Hey, I'm pretty new to brewing and am looking to make a beer similar to Alaskan Smoked Porter, but cannot find an extract version of the recipe. I've found several all-grain and partial mash clones, but am not sure how to convert those recipes into an extract brew or if that is even possible? In the all-grain recipes it calls for 2 Lbs of alder-smoked malt... Could that be steeped or does that type of grain have to be mashed? Thanks to anyone for the help!

My LHB store had a smoked porter kit, which turned out awesome. Not sure what would make it an Alsakan Smoked Porter. I will look up my paperwork and find out what exactly it was.

I'm not home now but i can post the recipe out of my byo mag. if you like. I think it had an extract version in there as well.

Found this from Dogyard Brewery

#20: Whistling Swan Porter (Smoked Robust Porter)

* A robust alder-smoked porter similar to the Alaskan Brewing Company version, and brewed from the recipe in the July 2003 Zymurgy.

Chris Swingley Kevin Hannah
20-Sep-2003

Recipe (for 5 gallons final volume)
13.0 pounds (68%) American 2-row
2.9 pounds (15%) Smoked 2-row (American 2-row, wetted, alder smoked 2+ hours, dried in 200 F oven)
1.5 pounds (8%) American Crystal 80L
12.0 ounces (4%) American Chocolate
12.0 ounces (4%) American Black Patent
2.0 ounces (1%) American Cara-Pils

1.0 ounce Chinook pellet hops, 12.2% AA (60 minutes)
1.0 ounce Kent Goldings pellet hops, 6.9% AA (15 minutes)

* Wyeast 1056 American Ale, pitched at 72°F
* Starter: 800 mL water, 2.5 ounces DME, 1.5 t yeast nutrient, pitched at 75 F

Water

* Pioneer Wells water

Mash

* 16.5 quarts water @ 170°F, grist ratio of 1.0 quarts:pound @ 150°F (Held 60 minutes)

Sparge

* 6 quarts water @ 212°F, drain
* 14 quarts water @ 170°F, drain

Boil

* Boiled 7.0 gallons for 60 minutes to yield 5.5 gallons wort

Fermentation

* Primary: glass, 7 days, 68°F
* Secondary: glass, 14 days, 65°F

Packaging

* Bottled with 104 grams dextrose
* Ready to drink on 24-Jan-2004

Properties
Starting Gravity: 1.064 Final Gravity: 1.020
Original Extract: 15.7°plato Apparent Extract: 5.1°plato
Real Extract: 7.12°plato
Alcohol: 5.8% by volume (4.5% by weight)
Apparent Attenuation: 67.5% Mash Efficiency: 60%
Bitterness: 45 IBU Color: 72 SRM
BU:SG: 0.70 BV: 1.30

Tasting Notes

* After two months in the bottle, the smoke flavor is very apparent and is very similar to Alaskan Smoked Porter. No faults.

I'm not home now but i can post the recipe out of my byo mag. if you like. I think it had an extract version in there as well.
Hey "Oldschool", it would be great if you could post that Alaskan Smoked Porter Extract clone if it is is BYO. I've found a lot of All-grain clones for it, but no extract ones. It would be much appreciated.

Also, I think a key ingredient in the Alaskan Smoked Porter is Alderwood-smoked Malt... I've read that folsombrewmeister used to have it, but do not anymore. Does anyone know where to get this? And if so, would it need to be mashed or could it be steeped like a specialty grain? Thanks for your patience!

Yep, you are correct the key is the alder wood smoked malt. It says to smoke it yourself.

2.25lbs dried malt extract
4.74lbs liquid malt extract
1.25lbs Munich malt
12oz crystal 45L
11oz chocolate
7oz black patent malt

10.75AAU Chinook hops (60mins) (.90oz/25g of 12% alpha acids
3.75 AAU Willamette hops (15mins) (.75oz/21g of 5% alpha acids

wyeast 1968(london ESB) or WLP002 (english ale)

.75 cup corn sugar for priming

step by step
smoke 1lb of the munich with alder wood
heat 4.7qts water to 165 steep crushed grains at 154 for 45 mins. Rinse with 3.5qts at 170. Add dried malt extract to make 2.5 gallons of wort. Boil for 60 minutes adding hops at times indicated and liquid malt extract with 15 minutes remaining. Cool wort and transfer to fermenter and add water to make 5 gallons. Aerate wort, pitch yeast and ferment at 68. thanks to kristi monroe and curtis holms from Alaskan Brewing for their assistance in making this clone.

OG 1.065
FG 1.015
IBU 45
SRM 58
ABV 6.5%

let us know how close it is

awesome! Thanks a lot for the recipe! Now I just have to find some Alderwood and a smoker? I'll be sure to let you know how it is. Thanks again, Oldschool

Back