Small Hops Bounty, Recommendations Requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlw08

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have recently been gifted a large variety of hops (in small quantities) from a friend for some experimentation. The hops are all new (nothing that's been shelved for a long time). I thought I'd ask for some advice on how to make them work towards a couple of recipes.

I intend to make a strongly bitter RIS as well as a rockin' IIPA. I also wouldn't mind putting some towards other uses, such as a nice scotch ale. I do all of my brews as 5 gallon batches, partial mash, ale yeast(s). :rockin:

Any recommendations would be helpful.

The bounty:

Cascade Pellet 2oz (7.2 AA%)
Cascade Whole Leaf 4oz (8.7 AA%)
Centennial 2oz (8.3 AA%)
Challenger Pellet 1oz (7 AA%)
Chinook Pellet 2oz (13.6 AA%)
Crystal 2oz (4.3 AA%)
Fuggle Pellet 2oz (4.8 AA%)
Glacier 2oz (6.0 AA%)
Hallertau 2oz (3.8 AA%)
Mt. Hood 1oz (5.6 AA%)
Simcoe 2oz (12.2 AA%)
Warrior 2oz (15.8 AA%)
Yakima Magnum 2oz (13.5 AA%)

Cheers! :mug:

If I had that selection, here is what I would do.

IIPA with the warrior for bittering, plenty of cascade, chinook, and simcoe flavor additions, and dry hop the 2 oz of centennial. could switch the simcoe and centennial there, though really any of those could be swapped for late additions/dry hop.

The magnum would work well for bittering the RIS, with glacier as the later additions.

Then make a nice esb with challenger for bittering, and fuggle and mt. hood for finishing. these could also be utilized in the scotch ale if you go that route.

With all those big beers, the hallertau would be nice in a hefeweizen or kolsch-style ale.

My $0.02 :mug:

If I had that selection, here is what I would do.

IIPA with the warrior for bittering, plenty of cascade, chinook, and simcoe flavor additions, and dry hop the 2 oz of centennial. could switch the simcoe and centennial there, though really any of those could be swapped for late additions/dry hop.

The magnum would work well for bittering the RIS, with glacier as the later additions.

Then make a nice esb with challenger for bittering, and fuggle and mt. hood for finishing. these could also be utilized in the scotch ale if you go that route.

With all those big beers, the hallertau would be nice in a hefeweizen or kolsch-style ale.

My $0.02 :mug:

You are a king amongst men. My experience with various hop varieties is limited so despite "reading" about substitutions and the like I'm still at a loss as to how to put together a good bittering/aroma profile for various styles.

Back