Dry yeast for Scotch Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moody_Copperpot

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm looking for a good dry yeast to use in a McEwan's AG clone I'm brewing for a friend's dad. I generally go US05 in the IPAs I brew...hell in almost anything I brew. I've never done a scotch ale though, so I don't know what to use. S04 British ale yeast? US05? Help me, help me!

I'd use US05 or Nottingham. You want something without a lot of esters. Also, you'll want to ferment cool.

afr0byte said:
I'd use US05 or Nottingham. You want something without a lot of esters. Also, you'll want to ferment cool.

Great, thank you for the tip! I don't know much about the style in general, admittedly. I appreciate the info.

IF you can ferment cool (60-62) I'd maybe consider using S-04 as it leaves behind a maltier profile than US-05. Otherwise use 05 and adjust grain bill and especially your mash temps up to get more unfermentables for that malty finish.

IF you can ferment cool (60-62) I'd maybe consider using S-04 as it leaves behind a maltier profile than US-05. Otherwise use 05 and adjust grain bill and especially your mash temps up to get more unfermentables for that malty finish.

I actually did a side by side with the S-04 and the US-05 on a scotch ale recently fermented at 62. In double blind controlled taste tests the US-05 won by a margin of 3 to 1. Sorry.

Kidding both were good. S-04 yes a little more estery maybe what you want maybe not. It was a pretty big scotch ale I called it the Wee Wee Scotch ale it was so Wee.

You are right the US-05 will finish dryer. Probably mash at 156-8 would be interesting.

Back