Stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmal1

Reaction score
using an extract recipe from Midwest , The Hex Nut brown Ale. OG was 1.041 and the recipe called for 1.042, so that was ok.
I used standard Muntons yeast (big mistake, I know), and it bubbled for about 1 day, much less than other batches I've made. So I added a Nottingham yeast. No activity. The reading now is 1.021. What can I do?

This recipe had a grain steeping, and I steeped it at exactly the called for temp (155 degrees). Maybe I didnt boil enough, because I "simmered" for an hour, not a real high boil. Is that the problem? if it I guess I am stuck.Can I try a champagne yeast?

thanks all

If the gravity reading stays steady at 1.021 for a few more days in a row, try searching this forum for "Beano" and decide for yourself if you want to give it a try.

Depends on how long you had in the primary. I think I have somewhat similar issue to yours. I have a 2 week old batch at 1.020 with Muntons yeast while 1 week old batch with liquid yeast is at 1.012. I shook my older batch and I do see some bubles on the surface of the beer, I am also raising the temperature by a few degrees. I intend to keep it in primary for at least another week.

The temperature is 68. It has been in the primary now for 13 days. I will look up the beano solution. Should I move this to a secondary or maybe still too early?

The temperature is 68. It has been in the primary now for 13 days. I will look up the beano solution. Should I move this to a secondary or maybe still too early?

your temp and time is good. Racking could certainly revive fermentation. If you do transfer to secondary, try to get a bit of the yeast stirred up in the process. This has worked for me in the past.

Don't add beano...if it's at 1.021 you're really only one point above safe bottling range. Your two best options are to swirl the fermenter a bit and warm it to 70, or rack to primary which may kickstart fermentaion.

Me personally would swirl and warm, but tha's becasue I never secondary and lieave them in primary for a month.

But don't add beano for a scant couple grav points...

Your two best options are to swirl the fermenter a bit and warm it to 70, or rack to primary which may kickstart fermentaion.

Me personally would swirl and warm, but tha's becasue I never secondary and lieave them in primary for a month.

Rack to primary? Wouldn't this be secondary?

I'd swirl (gently), warm and rack. Wake those yeasties up.

So I already racked to the secondary,and took some yeast with it. The new cover has a much tighter airlock, so maybe I'll see what happens. I also moved it to slightly warmer location not far from the furnace (but not too close either).
I'll give it a week, since I dont have time to do anything during the week with it.
thanks

Back