Suggestions for 5 gal BB use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StophJS

Reaction score
Hey all, I bought a 5 gallon better bottle a while back thinking that I would actually be using two-stage, but I really haven't been. I was hoping people could pitch me some ideas for how I can still make use of the BB. I'm thinking maybe some mead or hard cider? I guess orchard season is just about over at this point. Mead seems like a good option since it will sit in there for a few months. All suggestions are welcome.

Cider mills still sell til after thanksgiving. Plus you can always by apple juice at the grocery store year round. I just picked up cider last weekend to use.

use it a primary fermenter with a blowoff hose.

i also think that secondary is worthless unless your dry hop.

I'm basically in the same boat as you, bought it, then learned enough to know i didn't need it. I use mine for 3-4 gallon brews.

Thanks all. Revvy.. I've heard that generally store-bought ciders are going to have preservatives in them that will disallow yeast to reproduce or work. Have you been able to find preservative-free cider in the store?

Edit: Never mind, Robinette's in GR seems to have just what I need. :rockin:

You just have to search for the stuff that only has ascorbic acid as a preservative...if it were so difficult to find making apfelwein wouldn't be as popular on here as it is, is it? If you look through those threads you'll see names of usable brands....I've never had trouble finding at least one brand in a store.

And for ciders wines and meads you can do five gallon batches in the 5 gallon better bottles since you don't have to leave headspace for a huge krausen.

Back