So is it Cart first, then Horse or visa versa??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodRatsBrew

Reaction score
Here's an out of the blue question... Which would you prefer one has the choice of say a 10 gallon fermenter and only a 5 gallon brewpot, or a 10 gallon brewpot and 2-5 gallon fermenters? :confused: So basically is it better to do two boils and combine the wort for fermenting or brew a large volume and split it between 2 or more carboy?

Thanks for the input...

10 gallon brewpot (actually 15 or 20, but start with 10)

full volume boils make better beer. Split the fermenters. Buckets are cheap.

+1 on the brewpot. with 2 fermenters u can try different yeast. dry hop one. so on and so on.

Realistically, if you are doing full boils, you could only make a 4 gallon batch in a 5 gallon kettle.

It's a no-brainer, a 40 quart kettle is about minimum for "5 gallon" batches. Unless you are talking about extract brewing.

I generally put 6.75 gallons in the kettle and with heat expansion and boiling, I never think I've got too big a pot. Boil it down to 5.5 gallons, then in the fermenter, bottle 5 gallons.

And 6 gallon fermenters are much preferred in my opinion.

Back