Proportional Flow Control based on temp? PID?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I'd really like to make an on-demand water heater to replace my HLT eventually. The original plan was to mount a PID probe into the top of the heating tube near the unrestriced outflow, set my desired temp and control the input flow manually so that I don't under step my temp. However, I thought it might be even more slick to invoke a flow control valve so for strike water and run the element at 100%. My plan A would work OK for me because the flow rate isn't that important to me but if I find a cheap enough flow valve, I'd give it a try. Anyone know of any cheap sources? Many hundreds $$$$ from what I've seen.

As long the operation speed is not a problem I have a low cost solution.

You can use modulating valves from Honeywell or other vendors.
The operating speed ranges from 50-120 seconds (from closed to open)The price range is $80-120.00.
Control voltage, depending on model is 0-10V, 4-20mA, etc.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Watch Ebay for "Belimo" brand valves with proportional valve actuator, input is 24 VDC with 0-10V control signal. I have 5 installed on the phase 2 system and average cost was $10-$25 for the 1/2" ball valve versions. If you dont have any luck finding one PM me and I will check the spare parts shelf for one with a proportional actuator.

Very cool. I'll keep my eyes peeled. I still have to have my service upgraded before I get this going anyway. I want to run a 6000w element so I can get decent flow rates. Just for giggles though, does anyone have an estimate of a max flow rate that can be achieved with 6000watts and a 130F rise?

Keep in mind too that a vanilla auber PID won't be able to control analog outputs. You'll have to move up to slightly more expensive temperature controller. Love Controls offers some affordable solutions with current outputs.

It would be slow. We use these Titan Heaters in Guatemala model N-120 with has dual 5500 watt 208V elements run on 240 circuits. Running a standard shower you simply just use all hot or a crack of the cold water.

Niagara Industries Inc

I want to run a 6000w element so I can get decent flow rates. Just for giggles though, does anyone have an estimate of a max flow rate that can be achieved with 6000watts and a 130F rise?

Don't know how correct I am but I would take a stab at it using:
Power = Specific Heat * Fluid Density * Volume Flow * Change in Temperature, which can be rewritten as;
Volume Flow = Power / (Specific Heat * Fluid Density * Change in Temperature)
So that would be: Volume Flow = 6000 / (4185 * 1000 * 75) = 1.91*10^-5 m3/s = 1.15 ltr/min
(metric units ofcoarse)
That is the theoretical maximum but the it will be less than that because of effeciency, heat loss, etc.
Also somebody correct me if I'm wrong:cross:

Back