Best yeast for bottling high gravity beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief462

Reaction score
I have a barly wine OG 1.084 FG 1.012 in the secondary for 4 months and brewing a wassail est around 8-10% that i will secondary for 3.5 months. What are the best yeasts to use at bottling to help with carbonation after long secondary. I heard White labs champagne is good for this is that true. Do I direct pitch to bottling bucket or do I make another starter.

People say the champagne yeast produces a dry end product. I've never used it. The longest I've ever left something in secondary is about two months and I haven't needed to put any extra yeast in there. I usually just transfer a little from the carboy into the bottling bucket. So I guess i'm actually adding some yeast (never mind). But I'm curious about your reasoning for leaving it in the carboy for so long as apposed to just bottle aging it.

I use US-05. 'Bout 1/2 packet per 5 gallons. Mix it with the boiled bottling sugar/water when it cools down to ~100F. Let it sit for ~15 minutes, stir it up, dump it into the bottling bucket & rack onto it. Cheers!!!

Preferably, you want to use the same yeast you fermented with.

@Double D, it is common to bulk age high gravity beers. Palmer and others aver that it produces better conditioning. Also, if you age in bulk, you can dry hop (if desired) just before bottling and retain some good hop aroma.

@ bierliebhaber. I totally understand not breaking up everything in bottles immediately. I didn't mean to imply that. More specifically, is there an advantage to 3.5-4 months vs. 2? Seems like a long time to plan on have something in a carboy.

If you repitch anything (which you shouldn't need to) I would only repitch the same strain as the original. What happens if the champagne yeast can ferment the beer lower than the original strain after you bottle it.

I wouldn't pitch new yeast, and if you pitch something like champagne yeast, I would do it a few days-a week before bottling!

Back