Camden Tablets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeantownR6

Reaction score
ive never used these before. im making a 5 gal blueberry ale and im going to use the camden tablets to kill the yeast. after the beer is done fermenting, should i drop in a whole tablet to the primary, and how long should i wait to rack to secondary on blueberries?

thanks

I believe you need 1 tablet per gallon, so 5 tablets for the batch you've got. Crush them up also. No idea on how long to wait, I think you could probably rack right away - but I'm not an expert on stopping fermentation and only ever used campden for wines, never actually stopped a ferment with them.

Use 1 tablet per gallon if you want to inhibit yeast and bacteria growth. The 1 tablet per 5 gallons is more for dechlorinating (in which case it will actually treat 20 gallons). I don't understand why you want to kill the yeast though.

Odd, but may work. Usually when making fruit beers, I want the yeast to ferment the extra sugars of the fruit in the secondary. I don't know about blueberries, but when I did a pomegranate wheat beer, I put potassium metabisulfite (camden) in the raw, fresh squeezed, pomegranate juice 24 hours before racking the wheat beer on top if it. I used too much which inhibited secondary fermentation, and just a pinch to a quarter teaspoon would have been sufficient per gallon of fruit. The beer will kill the rest of the nasties.

Latest posts

Back