Chugger pump, smells and oil on surface

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hinke

Reaction score
Hi,

Was going to brew today using my new march pump for the first time.

I heated my mash water to temp, then was going to transfer the liquid into the MLT, them pump started smelling (not burnt), then I saw some oil on the surface of the water in the MLT, and the water smelled. Do I have to clean these pumps before usage?

Thanks

Yep, it's really strange. I ran through a ton of oxyclean water, maybe less oil this time, but water still smell like the pump. Don want to risk loosing a whole batch because of this.

I need to contact them and see whats going on.

This is a copy of the march pump, chugger pump.

I will revert back to my old brew technique :(

So your title should be Chugger pump, not march pump.

Moderator might want to change that. If you have a stainless steel head, it might be machining oil when they cut the threads.

You can take the head off and clean the impeller and inside surfaces.

Sorry, my mistake.

Yes, chugger pump.

It's just the plastic head.

The head is just the front piece right, the piece you can turn in different directions?

Based on your description, soaking may not be enough. You can disassemble the pump head completely. It's very straightforward (assuming the pump is a fairly accurate copy of a March pump). Once you have the pump head split, use your fingers and some dishwashing detergent to degrease both halves as well as the impeller. Rinse it thoroughly and reassemble.

I took the whole from housing apart. It has the magnet with the "propeller" inside of it. I scrubbed it with a soft brush.

I brewed a Kolsch this weekend with mine. Prior to using it I took the head all apart and cleaned it with hot water and dish soap. Then prior to brewing all of my beers cleaning everything the day before with Star San HB. I soak all of my hoses and all of my containers. Didn't see anything abnormal or different when compared to the March head.

Personally, this guy is trying to bring a product to the homebrewer masses at a cheap price. Yes, it could, and probably is made in China. But he oversees the making of the head. Like he said when he stared making these, the heads where a bit rough.
But, once again these where a first production run.

Look at Brewers Hardware, he had to start someplace. Look at Bobby, Once again, here is another guy that had to start someplace. This guy's customer suport, just likle so many venders on here is outstanding.

This guy, just like so many here on the board is trying to get us a quality product at a good price. Personally I think he is doing a great job. Not to hijack a thread, just stating my 2 cents.

There is another thread about a guy with the same plastic leaching into the water. Seems like the SS head is the onyl way to go with these. Good thing they seem to be including them free.

They don't seem to have received any other claims like this though.

I am very happy with the customer service though.

I will report back when I get the stainless steel heads.

Back