Re-using Washed Yeast-When is it Ready??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ki-ri-n

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a batch of Bee Cave's Bavarian Hefeweise. I followed Bernie's directions for yeast washing. I currently have it on my stir plate. I'm doing the same recipe & the same yeast on National Home Brewing day :ban:.

When do I know it's ready to pitch? Can I tell by volume or is it just by time?

WTF!!!!!!!!!!

2nd time my starter falls off the stir plate :mad:
Now I have to start over and I lost bunch of yeast :mad:

I might give up and just buy it @ $7 a pack.
Good thing I have something on tap :mug:

I actually had this happen to me on a DIY stirplate. Using a 1000ml flask. I finally put some of that rubber shelf liner stuff on there so it wouldn't slip. Works great now.

But to your question...same procedure you'd use with any starter. Just because you're using washed yeast doesn't make it any different. I typically keep my starts on for 12 - 15hrs, then cold crash for 24hrs.

1000 ml flask.

I watched it for a while, it's fine. Turn my back to do something else and BOINK!

KB: did you put it under the plate or the flask?

I actually had some rubber under the plate so it wouldn't vibrate off somewhere. Still no dice! Trying to get this all done so I can brew when SWAMBO and the kids are gone tomorrow!

Upside, basement smells like a yummy yeast factory! Hope SWAMBO doesn't notice or care!

Latest posts

Back