A finish to a start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
<< Little bit of a drunken post/ramble.

Monday I start my last semester of college classes. As happy as I am, I always thought I knew what I wanted to do, now I am starting to have doubts, and thinking about doing something completely different. Well not completely different but, different from what I thought I would do. This **** sucks maybe I don't want to grow up. And damn I need to get brewing, I am out of HB.:(

Don't sweat it.

The big steps forward almost always include trepidation. Trust yourself and keep moving.

Waiting for a sign is never a good career path.

Cheers

Its just the natural fear of leaving one stage of life for another. Don't worry, life outside of college isn't hard either! You'll find you can still drink almost as much. Just have to get better at nursing hangovers! haha

There is always grad school. ;)

Grad school is defiantly not an option. For various reasons. I have thought of Law school, but the fact of the matter is, money is not their for that, and I think I would be better off doing that latter in life.

If you don't want to pursue a job in your field of study, pursue a job that will make some good money and open doors for you not previously opened. What you need right out of college is a foothold, and it probably won't be something that you're thrilled with. No worries though, you'll be making good money, learning a marketable skill, and refining your ideas about what you like to do. Aim to stay in that job at least two years, which will give you a decent amount of experience to get into a differnt position or ask for more money, or both.

If you have any inkling about grad school (MBA, LAW, etc) my .02 would be to do it now. Go in debt up to your eyeballs if needed. It's a lot easier to pay off debt accured when you were younger, than to try to do it with a wife, kids, and the money to pay tuition. At that point in your life (i.e. Later) time with your family will be worth more than money. At the very least work in your chosen field for 1-2 years MAX, determine what it will take to get to the top, quit and go back to school to acquire the additionaleducation (but mostly industry connections) it will take to get there.

Grad school is defiantly not an option. For various reasons. I have thought of Law school, but the fact of the matter is, money is not their for that, and I think I would be better off doing that latter in life.

Many people do not have the money for grad school/law school/med school, that's what federal loans are for. A loan for your education is always worth it (assuming you do not drop out). The other reasons, I can not help you with.

Many people do not have the money for grad school/law school/med school, that's what federal loans are for. A loan for your education is always worth it (assuming you do not drop out). The other reasons, I can not help you with.

With a lot of the jobs I am looking at, I can be paid to go to school, so thats why I say later on in life. Only reason for wanting to go to law school is to teach at a college after retirement. A grad degree is pretty useless to me, and would put me around a lot of things I think are complete BS, in my area of study.

Pretty much my jobs choices I have been considering are narrowed down to.

Local PD
Military
Some sort of federal job in a LE position.

Ryan- If you are young enough Id go talk to a USAF Air Guard Recruiter about a flying position. Officer plus a badass job. And you dont have to deal with being active duty

Ryan- If you are young enough Id go talk to a USAF Air Guard Recruiter about a flying position. Officer plus a badass job. And you dont have to deal with being active duty

I am 23 so I guess that's young enough. Ill look into the Air guard thing, never really thought of that.

Yea- I spent 6 years Active Duty and liked it. Now I am Air Guard and I love it. But if I could do it all over again I would have been young like you and gone Pilot. Those guys have it all.

Tons of Air Guard pilot slots open. Even more if you are willing to relocate too.

Back