little lost...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Reaction score
this past sunday i did my first batch using all DME and using whole leaf hops. well i think i pitched the yeast when it was to warm, as it hasn't started bubbling yet. so i took the top off of the bucket and there is this layer of hop leaf on top...this normal?

You will have to get more specific to get help from some of the experts around here.

What temp did you pitch at (or your best guess)?

Did you strain wour wort into the fermentor?

What kind of yeast, and did you make a starter?

I am still pretty new, and have just recentlly started making starters. I will do this whenever I have the chance from now on. It gives the fermentation a jump start, and more importantlly, lets you know if the yeast you are using is viable.

If you post this info, lots of people around here will be happy to help.

Good luck!!!

I blame your problem on your unwillingness to change your username, Dumpweed. :p

Like others said, you should really be straining or whirlpooling your wort to avoid all that crud from making it into the fermenter. And what was the temp when you pitched? Anything over 105f will almost certainly kill it...but anything above 80f isn't a good idea generally.

haha, Evan! i'm not changing sorry.

i pitched the yeast around mid 80's i think. it was a liquid yeast i forget the name currently, i'm at work and can't look it up.

straining huh. never done this before. i have always used pellet hops until this batch. so how do i go about straining it?

Evan said:
haha, Evan! i'm not changing sorry.

straining huh. never done this before. i have always used pellet hops until this batch. so how do i go about straining it?

There ya go!! Stick to your guns!!

To strain just get a fine steal mesh strainer from walmart or where ever for $10 and strain the wort through that. It'll remove enough of the hops, etc. I actually use a small strainer sitting inside a larger one and basicall nothing gets through.

Evan said:

I use a stainless steel fine mesh strainer. You can find them easily at Walmart or Target in the kitchen supply section. This takes care of two important things when it comes to your wort, removal of trub and aeration.

thanks everyone! i'll pick one up tonight!.

Back