Malty aroma, how to get it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zgoda

Reaction score
Most German beers from brewpubs i tasted had one thing that i'd like to have in my beer - it's prominent malty aroma at the finish. Very different from the malt aroma found in any other lagers, you can get the idea of what i'm about if you drop a tablespoon of pale malt (pilsner, munich) on hot fry pan. I found this aroma present in german pilseners, dortmunders, munich helles and even in some kolsch (Reissdorf has it).

Do you have any ideas? Is it munich malt in grain bill, how much if so? Or decoction? Or... what else?

Czesc! :)

This is what I would like to know as well....

Buy imported malt (i use weyermann malts), go EASY on the hops and use lager or kolsch yeast. Try a batch with bittering addition only, 90% pilsner and 10% carafoam and that should get you there. You have to have perfect techniqe though, that rich malt aroma is the first thing to get covered up by ANY other flavor in your beer.

I just read you're in Poland, no wonder your local microbrews have that flavor. American microbreweries consistently fail at those styles and is the main reason I got into brewing it myself. Good luck!

Weyermann FTW. Also, no aroma hops (duh!) to let the malt come thru.

Finally, use a German lager yeast, b/c its really the yeast the brings out the malt aroma profile. Bavarian lager, Pilsen (my fav. lager yeast right now), Oktoberfest, etc.

The nose will really take you back to a German pub, sippin' on a delicious lager made by the descendants of the creators of lager beer.

Try a batch with bittering addition only, 90% pilsner and 10% carafoam and that should get you there. You have to have perfect techniqe though, that rich malt aroma is the first thing to get covered up by ANY other flavor in your beer.

That isn't really true. You can use a variety of malt bills (as the Germans do). Its all about not covering up the malt with hops. I dont' know about perfect technique, but the biggest worry should be to avoid any oxidation while transferring the beer between containers.

Also, lager for at least 1 month before serving at temps <40 F.

Good luck! The maltiness you are going for is def. obtainable!

Pretty much what has been stated above: Good quality malt, good technique (decoction mashing doesn't hurt), good German yeast (fresh, active and serious pitching amounts) and go easy with late hop additions.

Thank you all, my pils has new perspective. Weyermann's Bohemian Pilsner malt is already my base grain now (previously was: Belgian pilsner from Castle), additionally 10% of light Munich for bready taste. German hops for bittering and flavor (Hallertau + Tettnanger), < 30 IBU. Wyeast Bohemian Lager is taking off slowly.

I hope the beer will be ready for my birthday in May. ;)

Let that lager do its thing, it will be "slow" compared to ales (and less "explosive").

What was the OG of your Pils? Keeping it under 1.050 really helps nail that authentic German flavor.

Pils malt + Munich malt + Noble hops + German lager yeast = yum yum

Should be ready way before May. 2wks ferment+6wks lagering=happy time in 2 months.

Latest posts

Back