ESB recipe needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenDawg19

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good all-extract ESB recipe that they could share? I couldn't find one in the recipe section.

If you take my Cold Shot ESB recipe and replace the base malt with about 7lbs of light DME, you'll end up with something similar and surely very tasty.

And look how pretty it is! :D

ESB.jpg

I am far from an expert, but wouldn't an ALL extract version be a bit tough? I mean i guess there are extracts out there that'd do it all, but i'd think some extract plus steeping grains would be comparably easy and maybe even better.

I'm about to brew the Common Room ESB found in the recipe section. I think it'd be pretty easy to sub extract for the base malt and then steep the crystal to get the color and flavor, but again, i'm no expert.

Donner, to be honest with you, I was thinking about going that route with the Crystal malt. It should be easy enough even for a novice like myself!

I am far from an expert, but wouldn't an ALL extract version be a bit tough? I mean i guess there are extracts out there that'd do it all, but i'd think some extract plus steeping grains would be comparably easy and maybe even better.

I'm about to brew the Common Room ESB found in the recipe section. I think it'd be pretty easy to sub extract for the base malt and then steep the crystal to get the color and flavor, but again, i'm no expert.

Donner, to be honest with you, I was thinking about going that route with the Crystal malt. It should be easy enough even for a novice like myself!

If you can heat water you can steep grains. It's not hard. You'd just need a bag for the grains. Muslin, nylon (as long as you don't let it burn on the pot) whatever is fine.

Unlike mashing you don't have to keep the water at a specific temp, just within a range, and you also don't have to worry about having a specific amount of water.

Do you know how to convert the 10 lbs of base malt to extract? Google can lead you to a few sites that have easy to follow instructions. It's not hard, but if you need help, let us know.

The common room ESB seems like it might be a good recipe to start with. Other than the first wort hopping, it's very straight forward and the dry yeast is easy to deal with. You might check the thread and see if there is an extract version in there, or ask and i'm sure people can offer suggestions for the hop schedule.

Isn't it for syrup extracts, you add 0.75 pound for every pound of grain removed? And for dry extracts, you need 0.6 pound for every pound of grain?

If you can heat water you can steep grains. It's not hard. You'd just need a bag for the grains. Muslin, nylon (as long as you don't let it burn on the pot) whatever is fine.

Unlike mashing you don't have to keep the water at a specific temp, just within a range, and you also don't have to worry about having a specific amount of water.

Do you know how to convert the 10 lbs of base malt to extract? Google can lead you to a few sites that have easy to follow instructions. It's not hard, but if you need help, let us know.

The common room ESB seems like it might be a good recipe to start with. Other than the first wort hopping, it's very straight forward and the dry yeast is easy to deal with. You might check the thread and see if there is an extract version in there, or ask and i'm sure people can offer suggestions for the hop schedule.

If you go to Morebeer.com they actually have an ESB Extract kit. I'm currently drinking it now and its very tasty.

Back