Great Books

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

distrex

Reaction score
I have read both the complete joy of home brewing and how to brew and was just wondering if anyone knew of any other good books that are a little more than introduction books. They were both very good and very informative but what would be the next step?

If you're ready to move on and formulate you own recpies you *HAVE* to get this book. Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles by Ray Daniels.
Has tons of info on and the characteristics of each style, as well as the history. All the "style" chapters end in bullet point summaries of the ingerdiantes and methods for those styles.
Also the history of every style is a fascinating read, if you a beer geek ;). Really, get this book and you won't be sorry.

Dis-

'New Brewing Lager Beer' by Greg Noonan. Full of good info about general brewing as well as lager and DECOCTION (love that word). It does get a little heavy at times, tho. Also many of the AOB 'Classic Beer Stlyes' series are worthwhile.

Sully

Grab BYO's "150 Classic Clone Recipes" issue. Its $5, and really nice if you want to have an idea for how some familiar beers might be forumlated.

-D

A Textbook of Brewing by Jean de Clerck

Siebel Institute of Technology

Published in Britain 1957

Read this one twice already. If you love theory, then this is a great book

I just finished 'Radical Brewing' by Randy Mosher and I highly recommend it. I think it's perfect as an intermediate book and is highly entertaining and informative. There's no doubt in my mind that it will become one of the 'classics' of homebrewing literature, and Mosher certainly deserves to be mentioned with the likes of Palmer, Papazian and Noonan.

I just hit the local Library and ordered all the books I could on home brewing.. Cheap and you can figure out which one's you want to buy after you have read them. They had 24 books to choose from, all the ones that were posted here in the thread.. I have been reading my B@##s off....

Briggs et al., "Malting and Brewing Science, I and II". Any of George Fix's books. These are the best for real understanding of the science and technology of brewing.

Thanks alot guys, i'm gunna go ahead and pic up Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles. Seems like it'll be a good read. Are the text books you guys were talking about like, you know real text books like you'd use in college or just more technical books

I just picked up Beer Captured today. I really came close to getting Designing, but then realized that I'd put more time into reading it than I would into reading my textbooks.

Back