Bottling Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ere109

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to bottle a lager that's been sitting at 34 degrees. I plan to store it at room temp to condition so I can get my fridge back. I checked two online bottling calculators. One asked what temperature the beer was fermented at. The other asked what temperature it would be stored at. I don't want bottle bombs, so which temperature should I go with?

I'm getting ready to bottle a lager that's been sitting at 34 degrees. I plan to store it at room temp to condition so I can get my fridge back. I checked two online bottling calculators. One asked what temperature the beer was fermented at. The other asked what temperature it would be stored at. I don't want bottle bombs, so which temperature should I go with?

Go with the highest temperature the beer reached during/after fermentation. If you did a diacetyl rest, use that temperature.

The reason it asks for temp is to calculate the amount of residual CO2 leftover from fermentation. The colder the beer is fermented/conditioned, the more CO2 it will retain, requiring less priming sugar to reach the same carbonation level. As Yooper said, input the highest temp the beer reached post fermentation to get an accurate measure of residual CO2.

Ok, thanks. I never did a d-rest, so it went from 50 to 34, and that's what I bottled it at. I used that measurement for my calculations.

Back