Yeast starter: Decanting and Fremax

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PantherCity

Reaction score
Doing my first yeast starter tonight, and I have some questions. I got my numbers from the Mr. Malty yeast pitching rate calculator. I'm doing a 1.6 liter; 1.040 starter for a 6 gal, OG 1.066 Brown ale I'm doing this weekend. I will be using a stir plate and decanting before I pitch. I think I am going to crash cool it for a day (At high Krausen?) then pour off the "starter beer" and pitch the slurry at the bottom. Is there anything I'm missing about the decanting process? Also should I use Fermax in my starter? How much?
Thank you :mug:

It's basically as simple as you describe. Chill the starter overnight, then pour off all (or most) of the starter beer. If you pour it all off, you will need to add some chilled wort to the starter and swirl it around before pitching.

I use yeast nutrient in my starter wort, but I'm not sure how much difference it makes.

L

Back