First time serious wine brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigorange2

Reaction score
I bought some 48 hour turbo yeast, sanitized 2 milk jugs in the dishwasher, filled them with about 96 oz each of blueberry pomegranate juice, and added 1 half-cup of sugar to each, 1 tablespoon of the turbo yeast, shook it up, then made the lids really loose... Should I expect some decent DRINKABLE wine? I'm worried because the yeast says not to use an air-lock and I bought one to find out I didn't need it, so I'm hoping just the loosened lids is ok...

Please any comments and help are very welcome

p1010839b.jpg

p1010840u.jpg

Welcome to the world of brewing!

I hope you enjoy constructive criticism :mug:

That 48 hour turbo yeast is not manufactured for wine. Yes it will make you some hooch but if you purchase wine yeast that is around $1 a pack it will come out waaaaaaaay better in the end.

It says no airlock because fermentation will be fast and hard. An airlock would not let out enough air and you would be creating a pressure bomb. Some people here just take foil and wrap it over the covering of their carboy.

You should also look into a sanitizer. Dunno if the dishwasher is going to get it as sanitary as you need it for wine. Infections smell funny and taste bad :drunk:

Your next investment should be in a glass fermentor or a plastic one that is made for wine/beer. You can easily get 1 gallon glass jugs buying organic apple juice or cheap wine. Perfect size for beginer.

Other than those few things your recipe sounds delicious. Did you take a SG reading when you started out?

Hope this helps in your following endeavors of brewing :tank:

Just the kind of reply Im looking for. I hope it doesn't turn out bad. So should I just leave the cap loosely on there or actually put tin-foil? I definitely plan on getting a glass fermentation chamber.. I'm just testing the waters of this newly found hobby you know? Thanks a lot for your help I appreciate it.

One more thing, is it possible that I might not notice my wine being bad, as I'm not exactly a wine tasting connoisseur or anything
:mug:

Welcome to the world of brewing!

I hope you enjoy constructive criticism :mug:

That 48 hour turbo yeast is not manufactured for wine. Yes it will make you some hooch but if you purchase wine yeast that is around $1 a pack it will come out waaaaaaaay better in the end.

It says no airlock because fermentation will be fast and hard. An airlock would not let out enough air and you would be creating a pressure bomb. Some people here just take foil and wrap it over the covering of their carboy.

You should also look into a sanitizer. Dunno if the dishwasher is going to get it as sanitary as you need it for wine. Infections smell funny and taste bad :drunk:

Your next investment should be in a glass fermentor or a plastic one that is made for wine/beer. You can easily get 1 gallon glass jugs buying organic apple juice or cheap wine. Perfect size for beginer.

Other than those few things your recipe sounds delicious. Did you take a SG reading when you started out?

Hope this helps in your following endeavors of brewing :tank:

Some use foil, some use napkins, some use a towel. Just make sure flies can't get in and any dust falling is kept out. After the initial fermentation is over you should put the airlock on.

Is it going to be drinkable? It won't kill ya so yeah you can drink it but no guarantees on taste. Remember the biggest trick in this hobby is LEAVE IT ALONE! I am sure you wanted to drink home made wine yesterday but it does take time. I think after the first couple of batches the waiting got easier and easier.

If the taste is that bad just mix with sprite/juice/soft drink of choice after fermentation is done with just like you would make a mixed drink.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back