BBC shows, etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also love the Inspector Piorot series (Agatha Christie) with David Suchet, another great actor. If I were a movie maker I would have tried to make a movie starring him and Jeremy Brett. Saw David Suchet in another movie and he played a tough guy, very good actor.
My girlfriend loves Miss Marple too, I like too but not as much as the others.

So, who did it?

Not sure if there is a hidden joke in there knowing you ;), but here is what I found.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is the name given to the TV series of Sherlock Holmes adaptations produced by British television company Granada Television between 1984 and 1994, although only the first two series bore that title on screen. The series was broadcast on the ITV network in the UK, and starred Jeremy Brett as the famous detective, a portrayal that many consider to be the definitive screen version of Sherlock Holmes.

A bad joke, yes. I loved that show. I especially liked the way they included his drug addiction.

Like Poirot, that was a show you could walk into and believe. :)

A bad joke, yes. I loved that show. I especially liked the way they included his drug addiction.

Like Poirot, that was a show you could walk into and believe. :)

We heard rumors they were going to make a Poirot movie with David Suchet but that was years ago. Sometimes movies spoil the illusion anyway so I was not sure if it was a good idea.

I love it when Jeremy Brett (as Sherlock) would wave off someone with the back of his hand as if they were flies once he was done questioning them. A visual "ok I am done with you now go away". What an arrogant bastard he played.

We heard rumors they were going to make a Poirot movie with David Suchet but that was years ago. Sometimes movies spoil the illusion anyway so I was not sure if it was a good idea.

One thing about British TV...They are very fond of killing series before they get old, Characters before they get old....Just about anything before they get old..............Except Red Dwarf, see what happens when you don't kill a child when it's still young? They grow up and annoy you just like any other teenager! :)

One thing about British TV...They are very fond of killing series before they get old, Characters before they get old....Just about anything before they get old..............Except Red Dwarf, see what happens when you don't kill a child when it's still young? They grow up and annoy you just like any other teenager! :)

Ya, that is one of those things that is good and bad at the same time. Some of the best American shows (especially comedies) were cancelled or stopped at the height of their popularity - Seinfeld, Arrested Development, Family Guy (then it got ruined by bringing it back) all come to mind. There are far too many that just drag on.

They needed to kill Coupling before that last, unwatchable season without Jeff. I used to laugh my freakin' ass off watching that, but the season was.... horrid.

Ya, that is one of those things that is good and bad at the same time. Some of the best American shows (especially comedies) were cancelled or stopped at the height of their popularity - Seinfeld, Arrested Development, Family Guy (then it got ruined by bringing it back) all come to mind. There are far too many that just drag on.

Yeah, but that is exactly what Jerry Seinfeld wanted. He didn't want to end the show on the downslide and he felt he needed to end it before that ever began to happen. Probably could have gotten a few more years at least but he chose to play it safe. I miss that show and watch reruns over and over again. That show is my "comfort food".

Yeah, but that is exactly what Jerry Seinfeld wanted. He didn't want to end the show on the downslide and he felt he needed to end it before that ever began to happen. Probably could have gotten a few more years at least but he chose to play it safe. I miss that show and watch reruns over and over again. That show is my "comfort food".

Ya, I totally agree that it wasn't a terrible idea to stop it. We have 9 seasons of hilarity - there is not a single episode that I don't like - and Larry was gone. 32 DVDs of Seinfeld and Curb satisfy my appetite pretty well.

They needed to kill Coupling before that last, unwatchable season without Jeff. I used to laugh my freakin' ass off watching that, but the season was.... horrid.

Yup!! Jeff was far and away the best character.

On a side note, I've seen two the chicks on that show naked in other shows....Both were pretty awesome! :mug:

Also, the British have it right with that whole "watershed" deal the have going on over there.

Ya, I totally agree that it wasn't a terrible idea to stop it. We have 9 seasons of hilarity - there is not a single episode that I don't like - and Larry was gone. 32 DVDs of Seinfeld and Curb satisfy my appetite pretty well.

One of my favorite lines by Cramer, not a quote though.

Jerry: "If we give you a drink will you let us smell you?"

Cramer:"I'll let you smell me without the drink"

On a related note, I was in a strange way relieved that it seems Flight of the Conchords will be a two-season phenomenon (unless them getting deported is a headfake). Better to burn out than to fade away!

Top Gear, LoveJoy and Are You Being Served?

The best part while in England i88 I flicked on tube
and see toppless as a general thing on their TV shows.
One other thing more lines per/inch with a sharper
picture than what we had in the U.S. back then.

Top Gear, LoveJoy and Are You Being Served?

The best part while in England i88 I flicked on tube
and see toppless as a general thing on their TV shows.
One other thing more lines per/inch with a sharper
picture than what we had in the U.S. back then.

Last weekend on an episode of "Waiting for God" (mentioned earlier) one of the main characters (old man) was shown completely nude from behind and not just for a flash, more like 5 seconds which is like an eternity on TV.

Did I just bump this? Sorry. :D

Actually I enjoy this topic and was hoping it would continue on longer. ;)

Did I just bump this? Sorry. :D

Actually I enjoy this topic and was hoping it would continue on longer. ;)

No, you didn't bump an old thread, at least no more than I did a couple days ago. It was appropriate, though, as one of the shows that I learned about here just started a new season, and I was pretty psyched about it!

I watch the old episodes of Waiting for God on PBS, as well as Last of the Summer Wine. There's something inherently funny about old British people;)

Did any one watch Little America?

I gve up TV years agou but I down load the odd show inc TOP Gear.

If any one can figure out a geographical hack for the BBC iplayer you'll can watch alot of shows.

if you find one let me know. i have been trying and trying.

agreed. but was still a great show. no wonder we get most of our shows from the brits. though only the office was able to pull off a good show

if you find one let me know. i have been trying and trying.

I'm still quite happy getting all the shows via torrent and RSS. I get them all edited for ads, and downloaded, so I don't have to be online to watch them. Pop the avi files on my thumbdrive, or convert them to smaller format and put them on my phone if I'm not going to be near a PC.

Get Miro.

Latest posts

Back