Is it possible to have a higher gravity reading after three weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krc333

Reaction score
I have a larger I brewed and the first gravity reading was 1.07 (or at least that's what I wrote down) three weeks later after a very active fermentation process my reading is now 1.12.

Is this even possible? The only thing I can think is my first ready was actually 1.17 but I remember taking the reading twice. It's been bottled since and taste great, but I swear the gravity readings drive me nuts.

I think you are reading the hydrometer wrong. 1.120 would be a huge beer, are you sure it really didn't finish at 1.012

I think it's likely you're reading it wrong,as stated. But a lager with an OG of 1.07x? Seems to me it'd have to be something like a German swartzbier to start that high. Although that "blackbeer" (a lager) is supposed to be good. I'd like to have been there for that reading. what was the temp of the wort at that time?

I must have read it wrong, I guess that would have meant my original reading was 1.017 and my final was 1.012, making my alcohol content around 5%?

I must have read it wrong, I guess that would have meant my original reading was 1.017 and my final was 1.012, making my alcohol content around 5%?

Negative. Just enjoy it and pay better attention on your next brew.

That's a lil low for an OG,it only dropped by .005. by your reckoning. Something's amiss hear...Maybe check your hydrometer in 60F water to see if it reads 1.000. then it'd be reading right.

Here's the recipe I used, just something I made up. One of these days I'm going to conquer the hydrometer. I was very active at about 50-55 degrees for three weeks and turned out great. It's a light looking beer, which was what I wanted. I might try and do the same recipe with all grain and compare the two.

3/4 grain light munich
7.5 lb's pale ale extract
2 ounces of mt hood for 30 minutes at boil
1 oz of vangaurd with 30 minutes left in boil
1 irish moss tablet 10 minutes at the end of boil
South German Larger Yeast, white lab liquid
5 gallon batch

Well,from what I've seen of German lager yeasts,they don't have a high flocculation rate. So you might be ok there. I made a pale ale with just malts as well. Still fermentable sugars,ya know. Just more color,body,etc. I still think it's probably ok,you just got the reading wrong. By the way,my pale ale had an OG of 1.048,gunna check for an FG Monday. At 7 days it checked at 1.020. I should go down to at least 1.012 for an FG. Just to give you an idea...

You can get an approximate estimate of OG by recipe. Extract being easier to estimate than grain.

At what temperature did you get the OG at? Did you use top-off water? Was it well mixed?

Latest posts

Back